A Conversation for Nihilism

Removing people

Post 1

Occasional Hieroglyphic, wanderer in search of the exoteric

The act of exiling people because of their beliefs. In the Island of Jersey a few years age (alright several hundred probably) the usual method was to take the transgressor down to the low water mark(there are 10 metre tides in the Channel Islands) and leave them there. After that it was up to them to survive without coming ashore. I believe there were one or two chapels set up near the coastline which would take them in if they could get there without being caught. After that I've no idea. Maybe someone from Jersey could illuminate....?


Removing people

Post 2

HigherGround

Legend (well Hollywood legend) has it that some Native Americans in the US southwest burried their exiles in the desert sand with just their heads sticking out. Then the victims were left to die. I don't know that any of them actually got free, but I suppose it's possible. Regardless, I have a feeling that the tribe never saw them again. I don't know that the crimes would have had anything to do with nihilism, but its a fun story anyway. I'll look to see if I can find anything on torture or punishment in the guide.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more