A Conversation for Doctor Who - The Television Phenomenon

Tom's Scarf

Post 1

AliciaDavison

I thought the 4th Doctor's scarf was 20ft long? Or was that just Tom exaggerating again?

Alicia


Tom's Scarf

Post 2

Smij - Formerly Jimster

There were a number of different scarves, and I seem to remember the one they used on location was slightly shorter than the one used in studio, to minimise the risk of Tom tripping up while in a quarry or something.


Tom's Scarf

Post 3

AliciaDavison

Like he did during the filming of the Sontaran Experiment, when he got tangled during a stunt and broke his collarbone.

I made a Dr Who scarf last year and stopped at about 13 ft long. Being only 5ft3 or 4 it's too long for me, but I still occasionally wear it.

Might introduce it to the Who club boys at the next Doctor Who day *laff*

Alicia


Tom's Scarf

Post 4

Gazongola-Small Time Whovian and Big Time Nutter (and now old enough to drink, but politics is still a less favourable subject)

I also have a scarf but it is 14ft 12in long and it was knitted for me by my nan. Later on, she knitted me a smaller one to take out and about using leftover wool. This was a surprise and i thought it was a great idea.


Tom's Scarf

Post 5

Smij - Formerly Jimster

Just an update to my earlier post, Tom had one scarf for his first two seasons, 13ft long. The scarf was trimmed back to 10ft in season 13 to remove a few sections that had been damaged (for instance, during 'Ark in Space' when the autoguard shot at it). A duplicate (also 10ft) was created for his 'double' to wear in 'The Android Invasion' and after the original had been damaged over time (with further sections cut out of it after being burned by special effects), they started using the duplicate in some scenes (usually on location) from 'Masque of Mandragora' or thereabouts. The original was cut in half during the samurai sequence in 'The Deadly Assassin' and the duplicate then became the main scarf. You'll notice that during this time, Tom stops wrapping the scarf around his neck and instead just drapes it as it's too short.

A new 17ft scarf made its debut in season 15 ('Image of the Fendahl' onwards) which was a little bit broader and had a slightly different colour scheme (more greens and less yellow sections). This scarf actually only appeared in two other stories, 'Underworld' and 'Invasion of Time'.

By season 16, the remnants of the original and the first duplicate were combined to make an extra-long scarf. This was further cut up and patches were added to it to make it 20ft long by the time of 'Destiny of the Daleks'.

For season 18, Tom's last year, a completely new scarf was introduced to go with Tom's new costume, with the colour scheme reduced to just burgundy, purple and a few lines of orange. Originally 20ft long, it stretched to 24ft in length by the time Tom left the show (by which time he was looping the thing around himself twice over just to stop tripping over it).


Tom's Scarf

Post 6

Ford ix Prefect

personally i had seen it in various episodes wraped two or three times loosely around the doctor's neck so the 20' range might not be that hard to swallow since doctor #5 was seen unraveling it to mark his way back to the zero room so he wouldn't get lost in the maze that is the tardis. i think the zero room was from the main control room three levels down, two levels to the left and a level sideways or something like that given the oddish way he kept the layout of the old type 40 TARDIS i could of course be very wrong and silly.


Tom's Scarf

Post 7

Blue Demon

The story I remember was that someone on the production team knew an elderly lady who was into knitting. The BBC sent her a whole van of wools in a range of colours and she thought she had to use it all. When they came round to collect the scarf it was almost trailing out the door. They sliced it up and donated the majority of it to charity.


Tom's Scarf

Post 8

Smij - Formerly Jimster

That would be Begonia Pope, who costume designer James Acheson approached to make the scarf. I suspect the story of just how big the scarf was is actually apocryphal, especially as Tom Baker seems to embellish it further year after year smiley - biggrin


Tom's Scarf

Post 9

Zerrett87

do u guys know where i can find the patteren


Tom's Scarf

Post 10

Smij - Formerly Jimster

You could try either of these sites:

http://www.astro.umd.edu/~marshall/scarfpat.txt

(for the instructions)

http://www.brimelow.thinkhost.com/scarf/

(for an illustrated history of Tom's scarf and the many variations)


Tom's Scarf

Post 11

Zerrett87

thanks been looking for it, got the hair nose smile and jacket


Tom's Scarf

Post 12

Gazongola-Small Time Whovian and Big Time Nutter (and now old enough to drink, but politics is still a less favourable subject)

Where did you get the jacket from?


Tom's Scarf

Post 13

Gazongola-Small Time Whovian and Big Time Nutter (and now old enough to drink, but politics is still a less favourable subject)

Hello? Is anybody there?smiley - erm


Tom's Scarf

Post 14

Smij - Formerly Jimster

I don't think Zerret's been back smiley - sadface


Tom's Scarf

Post 15

Gazongola-Small Time Whovian and Big Time Nutter (and now old enough to drink, but politics is still a less favourable subject)

Oh. It is nice to know somebody is there. Do you know where I can get a coat?smiley - smiley


Tom's Scarf

Post 16

Gazongola-Small Time Whovian and Big Time Nutter (and now old enough to drink, but politics is still a less favourable subject)

By the way, check out my first entry.A2697285smiley - biggrin


Tom's Scarf

Post 17

Smij - Formerly Jimster

Ah, yes, I've *just* made some comments on that in Peer Review. I just hope you're not too discouraged as we do have other entries on Star Wars ships and it might be worth having a look at those too - there's definitely room for your entry though smiley - smiley

Sadly, I have no idea where to get any of Tom's coats. I suspect the first three were off-the-peg jobs (the corduroy, grey speckled or brown velvet) but the burgundy one was made especially for him. You might have to save up and beg a talented friend to make one for you...


Tom's Scarf

Post 18

Zerrett87

Found Something that looks like it a a trift store


Tom's Scarf

Post 19

Gazongola-Small Time Whovian and Big Time Nutter (and now old enough to drink, but politics is still a less favourable subject)

What is a Trift store?smiley - erm


Tom's Scarf

Post 20

Zerrett87

people bring old thing that still work in

you buy it for cheap


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more