A Conversation for 'Frankenstein' by Mary Shelley

Don't Read the Book!

Post 1

Yuvi

I was forced to read and anlyze the story, and it was not enjoyable. It was overly dramatic, not at all scary, and half the book is dedicated to tracing Dr. Frankenstein's chase of the monster. Not to mention one devestating passage involving a blind man. As a whole, it was not an effective book.


Don't Read the Book!

Post 2

Ku'Reshtin (Bring the beat back!)

I beg to differ. I found the book to be very well written and the vivid description of events and people in the book made it a book that I found I couldn't put down once I'd started getting into it.
Then again, I read it because I wanted to, not because I was forced to, and I always find that if you're forced to read a book, you won't enjoy it, no matter how well written it is.

I would happily recommend the book to anyone wanting to read a true classic.


Don't Read the Book!

Post 3

hippihippo

I read the book and found it mind numbingly boring after a while. I just had to put it down.

DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT READING THE BOOK


Don't Read the Book!

Post 4

psycho42

Firstly, it is not meant to be scary. . .secondly it is an amazing work of literature that brings up many questions about life, humanity, and the search for Truth. The creature is in search for his creator through the novel as we searched for a creator and came up with a "god". He wants a mate. . .to love and to reproduce with which brings up the desire to keep your species alive. This book is amazing and I would highly reccomend reading it to anyone who enjoys a good book and doesn't mind actually thinking a little.
~Psycho


Don't Read the Book!

Post 5

MurrayBostHenson

smiley - applausesmiley - applausesmiley - applausesmiley - applausesmiley - applausesmiley - applausesmiley - applausesmiley - applausesmiley - applausesmiley - applausesmiley - applausesmiley - applause

I quite agree Psycho, very well put smiley - cheers

And lets not forget she was 20yrs old, when she wrote it, about 100 years ago!
Extrordinary and insightful if I do say so smiley - 2cents


Don't Read the Book!

Post 6

psycho42

smiley - blush Thank you Murray! I'm glad to hear that someone else enjoyed the book as well as I did!
~Psycho


Don't Read the Book!

Post 7

MurrayBostHenson

No problem smiley - cheers
*chooses words carefully* I would hate to see a classic peice of literature cast aside because there are no lightning bolts and "Give my creation life!" stuff. Or worse, a bunch of half drunk villagers waving torches at a monster who can say no more than "Nnnnmmmmmmm" and wave his arms about in a menacing fasion.

I LOVE how Dr. Frankenstein comes to see himself as a monster, while his monster attempts to make himself a man.
Absolutely brilliant smiley - towel


Don't Read the Book!

Post 8

psycho42

I enjoy how the creature's search for meaning and a creator mirrors the search that human's have been on for centuries. It's fascinating that people will see the creature as a monster when what he is doing is trying to survive and reproduce and find a meaning to his life. He feels to do this he must find his creator, just as many of us use a god to try to find meaning in our lives. And his desire to survive and reproduce fits Darwin's survival of the fittest theories to perfection. It amazes me that she was twenty when she wrote it as I am twenty now and beginning my first novel. Definitly a good book that I have defended to many people and have explained to many as well. The concept of Frankenstein being the doctor and the creature not actually having a name seems to allude many people.
P.S. your *chooses words carefully* amuses me as I tend not to and to just say what I am thinkingsmiley - smiley
~Psycho


Don't Read the Book!

Post 9

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

You know, I was extremely surprised to find that Igor and the quote "Live my beautiful creation, live!!" were not only not in the book, but not in the movie either! (Which, by the way, is almost nothing like the book.) Personally I think it would be one of my favorite books if I didn't hate Victor Frankenstein so much. My personal dislike for Frankenstein aside though, I see no reason to swear off reading the book. The questions it raises are questions that should be considered with great care by everyone.

smiley - pirate


Key: Complain about this post