Paneer Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Paneer

3 Conversations

Discover - if you have not already - the delights of paneer. This is an Indian cottage cheese made very simply in the traditional way by processing the curds of buffalo's milk. The result is a firm cheese, not dissimilar to Italian mozzarella1, which does not melt - making it suitable for use in curries and other savoury dishes.

Most decent Indian restaurants will serve one or more dishes containing paneer - perhaps:

  • Saag Paneer (spinach and cheese)
  • Fiery Chilli Paneer
  • Mattar Paneer (cheesey peas2)

Or try cooking it for yourself by frying it first to brown, then add to a masala before serving.

Another possibility is this ridiculously easy dish:

  1. Cut fine slices of the cheese.
  2. Heat a little fat or butter in a flat pan.
  3. When the oil starts boiling, sauté the slices till brown.
  4. Sprinkle on a little salt.

Try it, either way. You won't be disappointed.

1Paneer's similarity to mozzarella is explained by the fact that the buffalo whose milk is used to make mozzarella were originally imported to Italy from India.2Apologies to The Fast Show comedians, who use the phrase 'cheesy peas' as one of their catchphrases.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A201042

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more