A Conversation for B-17 Flying Fortress

The B - 17

Post 1

babelhorn

Great entry. This comes at a great time and is very exciting to me. I am building and researching a small static model and will be able to use this information to decide on the exterior. Thanks so Much Farlander.


The B - 17

Post 2

Oetzi Oetztaler....Anti Apartheid

Sounds a great hobby Babel.
Would you mind keeping in touch to see how you get on.
I find model building fascinating..the skills, materials and research is always of interest to me.


The B - 17

Post 3

babelhorn

I certainly will. I can't tell you that I am a very skilled static model hobbyist. I recently started in again at the age of 40 after my childhood friend and fellow WWII airplane enthusiast died of a hear attack. So I bought an air brush and tried to step up to his competence as a detailed modeler after his death. It has been seven years since and I still have not found the skills to equal his as they were when we were kids.

In the UK there is a great web site that has the greatest inventory of kits and (most especially) modeling decals from a very impressive library of historically accurate insignia and nose art that don't typically come with stock kits. David(?) Hannant is the founder. www.hannants.co.uk/


I think with the help of your entry I could choose from a wide range of historically accurate markings and insignias to make my current project authentic and unique.

Thanks again


The B - 17

Post 4

Farlander

hello babelhorn, and sorry for taking so long to reply to your posting!

i found quite a lot of sites dedicated to b-17s while researching the subject, one of the most interesting ones being the one dedicated to 'my gal sal' (http://www.ultimatesacrifice.com/). you might find it useful - it has plenty of photographs and other details of the extensive restoration work they did on her. http://www.armyairforces.com/tails.asp is a good site if you want tail markings, or if you want the 303rd bomb group, http://www.303rdbga.com/aircraft-markings.html. heavybombers.com has a lot of really good b-17 photographs.

anyway, cheers, and thanks for reading!

smiley - cheers
far.


The B - 17

Post 5

sd0896

Have any of you been in combat?


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more