Cake Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Cake

8 Conversations

Cake is a baked delicacy made from eggs (usually hen's), flour (usually self-raising) and butter (usually fattening). In polite society, cake is usually eaten in slices (often accompanying a really good cup of tea), although it may be eaten whole if it is very small or you are very hungry.

Despite its apparent simplicity, cake comes in many forms, and you should know of a few peculiarities before you sample some.

  • Fruit cake does not usually contain apples, lemons or mangoes, but generally includes raisins and, perversely, nuts (as in the derogatory expression "nutty as a fruitcake").

  • Chocolate cake is cake which contains chocolate, but a "cake of chocolate" is all chocolate and no cake, which may or may not prove to be a disappointment.

  • Most importantly, if someone offers you a cake of soap, do not eat it. Soap is a cleaning agent applied to the outside of the body using a sponge.

  • However, you may eat a sponge cake with no fear of ill effects.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A158591

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Edited by

h2g2 Editors

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more