A Conversation for International Driving Etiquette

Motorway Police

Post 1

Sheriff Fatman

Could someone please explain to me why people slam on the anchors and drop to 70mph when they see a Police Range Rover on the hard shoulder of the motorway that has pulled over a car. Do they think that somehow the police officer is going to make it back to his vehicle, accelerate up to 100 mph and catch them up?


Motorway Police

Post 2

Growmac

Generally - who knows? I have seen a reason to be careful though: the police had one car doing sixty in the inside lane, causing everyone to have to do 70. You get past, accelarate hard to make up time (especially if you are rep man) and get nicked by one of the four unmarked cars (four that I spotted..) a mile further up the motorway.... Bummer!


Motorway Police

Post 3

Essi

Because people are panicky. My personal opinion is:

Once you see the flashing lights, it's too late. If you're gonna speed, buy a radar/laser detector. It'll pay for itself in the frist 3 tickets you avoid.


Motorway Police

Post 4

Sheriff Fatman

Except they don't work. Take a look at http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk for reviews of the various pieces of "defensive" kit. If you detect a laser, it has already detected you.


Motorway Police

Post 5

Two Bit Trigger Pumping Moron

One technique that I liked to use was to pull up behind another officer who stopped someone, then I'd use a rear facing radar to clock drivers. Some folks just speed up because they think that we're tied up with a violator.

I've also seen officers pull up behind abandoned cars on the side of the road and turn on their lights when they shoot radar. Our state police will hide their cars behind abandoned cars to shoot radar. It's illegal for us to do that.


Motorway Police

Post 6

a visitor to planet earth

If anything motorway speed limits are too high now, because the motorways are so crowded. As for ordinary roads cameras have become a real pain, we usually know where they are and can slow down, but the crafty people sneak in extra cameras mounted in vans. I even saw one on my regular route one evening filming out of the rear of the van while it was parked on the verge.


Motorway Police

Post 7

a visitor to planet earth

Anyone watch Police Interceptors. Essex police chasing cars, often shows my town, lol.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more