A Conversation for The Dodo - an Extinct Bird

Pigs

Post 1

Orcus

It is now believed that the introduction of pigs onto Mauritius was what really wiped them out.

Dodos were ground nesters and it is thought that the pigs brought to the island eat all their eggs. A highly effective way of exterminating them apparently.

That's what I saw on a documentary about the Dodo I saw on C4 UK a couple of years back.


Pigs

Post 2

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit on top
"As you say: 'It is now believed'

The whol;e issue about these birds is that man made up most of the stories. It can be equally true for the man introduced dogs/ monkeys/ diseases. "


Pigs

Post 3

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit actually seen the documentary (again) only a few days ago
"If you listen close enough, you will hear them suggesting it is highly probable the pigs did it.

Can not find the story about the pinguins on Mauritius anymore. smiley - weird One of the early exotic animal books mentioned the Dodos, only they accidentally used the wrong image, the next edition of the book included a new image again with penguin like birds representing the Dodo. I wonder what the Dodo -like birds did on Antarctica ? smiley - biggrin "


Pigs

Post 4

Orcus

Well whatever, but its not mentioned in the article so I thought it was worth mentioning. smiley - smiley


Pigs

Post 5

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit rereading
"smiley - biggrin You are right, somewhere during the long and extensive rererewrites of the entry the phrase: 'Pigs, dogs, monkeys and probably diseases killed them all' has been dropped.

I think it was because -we do not know for certain what killed them and -saying what could have killed them added more confusion then information.

< A61246 > original unedited entry by 'ant'
< A1111816 > my first attempt (unaware of 'ant's entry)
< A2831005 > working entry
< A3857204 > another backup
< A5807919 > just to make sure this entry does not get extinct smiley - huh

Somewhere you will find the pigs smiley - cheers "


Pigs

Post 6

Orcus

Oh right, fair enough then smiley - ok


Key: Complain about this post