A Conversation for The Potters Bar Zeppelin

Timewatch

Post 1

BigAl Patron Saint of Left Handers Keeper of the Glowing Pickle and Monobrows

Just watched a BBC Timewatch porogramme about this smiley - smiley. I think you've underplayed the role of incendiary bullets in your Entry. Apparently, the RAF (or was it RFC in those days?) didn't have much siuccess with shooting down Zepps until incendiary bullets became available. I think the prog said that the first airship/dirigible was shot down with incendiary bullets. Thereafter, Mathyt observed other Zepps brought down in flames by incendiaries, and developed a fear of being burned. A reporter asked him whether, if/when the time came he would jump or burn he replied, 'I won't know until it happens'. As you say, in the event, he jumped. The programme showed a photograph of a small crowd looking at the clear imprint of his body in the field.


Timewatch

Post 2

Pinniped


Interesting. Thanks, Al.
The bullets are in there, only not very prominent.
The Entry by Who? that's linked from the bullets reference has more to say about incendiary ammunition (Buckingham), so I steered off to avoid duplication.
That and the fact that my own research suggested that the bullets became available before the planes could fly high enough to deploy them, making the gaining of altitude the decisive development.
That and the fact that I'm more interested in engines than bullets, I guess.
It all makes you think, though. Is our research better or worse than the Beeb's? Maybe they tend to emphasise the interpretation with the best pictures? Maybe we (OK, me specifically) favour the interpretation with the most romantic notions? Does it matter that there's a difference? Is it actually better that we get different versions of a story, all with different shades?
Dunno. The reason I wrote this one, and all the others, wasn't to record facts. Others know more facts, and have access to more facts. I wrote it because I wanted to share a good story.
Maybe my Mathy is a bit braver than the real one? To lead your men when you know it's just a matter of time till you meet your doom, that's brave, however you cut it.

Wonder if I can find the Timewatch piece on line? I'll go try.

Pinsmiley - smiley


Timewatch

Post 3

BigAl Patron Saint of Left Handers Keeper of the Glowing Pickle and Monobrows

Here it is, if you haven't already found it yourself, Pin smiley - smiley

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/programmes/timewatch/launch_vid_timewatch.shtml

(PS. Hope you didn't think I was being critical. Just pointing out that the programme had been on and pointing out some interesting facts they bbrought out. There was also one or two interesting quotes from Mathy which I wish I'd copied down smiley - sadface.

Yoiurs is a great Entry - that's why I remembered it and referree to it immediately the programme had ended. smiley - oksmiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Potters Bar Zeppelin

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more