A Conversation for USS Somers - Mutiny or Murder?

Interesting story (USS Somers)

Post 1

Pimms

smiley - applause FS

Enjoyed this entry smiley - biggrin Certainly learnt a good deal about naval sailing ships and regulations smiley - winkeye - got a little bogged down in the footnotes smiley - erm

Pimms smiley - ok


Interesting story (USS Somers)

Post 2

Steve K.

I also enjoyed the story. One of my favorite videos is "Horatio Hornblower", actually a series of shows by A&E about the British navy in Nelson's time. One story involves a mutiny by the young lieutenants (our heroes) against a sadistic captain with some mental problems. The senior officers at the trial are interesting in their differing opinions about the powers of the ship's captain. Good stuff.


Interesting story (USS Somers)

Post 3

Jimi X

I too enjoyed this. smiley - cheers

I might be inclined to argue that the Fifth Ammendment protection afforded to civillians doesn't apply to those charged by the military, but overall, a cracking good sea yarn!

Bravo!


Interesting story (USS Somers)

Post 4

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

smiley - sorry about the footnotes, this was my first entry on HooToo and I may have wanted to say too much too soon. They do however give a good historical background to the piece.

If you enjoy the videos about Horatio Hornblower may I be so bold as to recommend the books? I first started reading them when I was in Sixth Grade and almost all of them are on my shelf as I type. As good as the films are they do not come close to the books. I read them every few years and am not tired of them yet.

You have a good point about Military Justice being a different standard than that of the common citizen, however in this case the Captain was also in the Military and received a much different standard of justice. My whole purpose in writing this however was not to answer the question raised - only to lay it on the table for consideration. I started this with a lawyer's view of the law involved and decided I would rather present a logical question with an ambiguous answer.

F smiley - shark S


Interesting story (USS Somers)

Post 5

Lentilla (Keeper of Non-Sequiturs)

The Horatio Hornblower books are fantastic. They're packed full of miscellaneous historical trivia, and give you an idea of just what it was like to work as a sailor in those days... Another good read is Six Years Before The Mast, an autobiographical narrative about a man who joins the merchant marines.


Interesting story (USS Somers)

Post 6

Z

Great Entry - I'm sorry I missed it in Peer Review - lovely art work as well Letilla.


Interesting story (USS Somers)

Post 7

Lentilla (Keeper of Non-Sequiturs)

Thanks! The graphic is from a lithograph of the event published around that time period. From the vantage point of the lithograph, it looked it had been done by a sailor from another ship (perhaps passing alongside.)


Interesting story (USS Somers)

Post 8

Z

It's good work.. smiley - artist

I still can't belive that the son of the Sectretary of State for war was excuted. I'm sure no one would have made a fuss if he'd been the son of poor farmer, but it's still intresting to read about.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more