How to Buy and Sell Used CDs and DVDs Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

How to Buy and Sell Used CDs and DVDs

2 Conversations

A CD in a clear case.

Before the advent of the compact disc, music was mostly bought on either shellac (78s), vinyl (singles and LPs) or on cassette1. The biggest problem with shellac and vinyl is that the data is contained on the surface of the disc, where without studious - one might even say, obsessive - care, it can easily be damaged2. Even if you have very good (and consequently expensive) equipment, they wear a little each time you play them. This reduces the overall quality of playback over time. Therefore, a lot of people became hesitant about buying used singles and LPs.

Cassettes wear to a much lesser extent and were for a time a slightly better prospect for buying used music - although the sound quality of a new cassette will rarely match that of a new record, a used cassette sounds pretty much the same after many plays as it did when new.

However, a compact disc will, theoretically, play as well after 50 years as it did on the day it was purchased3. Since nothing other than a beam of laser light touches the surface of the disc as it plays, there's no wear. The data itself is covered by a clear protective layer, and if the owner of the CD looks after it by not touching the playing surface and by keeping it in the case when it's not in use, there's no reason why it shouldn't remain free of any kind of damage until it disintegrates.

This advantage, together with the much better sound quality of compact discs over cassettes has resulted in a new branch of retail business - used CDs. The incredible rise in popularity of the DVD4 has resulted in a smaller but rapidly growing trade in used DVDs.

It can be conjectured that the success of this business has as much to do with the superior durability of CDs compared to records and cassettes (and that of DVDs over VHS tapes) as it does with the apparent over-pricing of new CDs by music companies. Compact discs cost about the same to make as vinyl records, but new releases have always been more expensive to buy on CD than on LP. Many buyers of used CDs no doubt feel that they're cocking a snook at the record companies by purchasing their music in used form.

So what should one know before dipping one's toe into the used CD or DVD market?

Buying

The Disc

The disc is, quite obviously, the most important part of the deal since it carries the data, so take a good look at the playing surface. Is it scratched or damaged in any way? If it is, find out if you can listen to it in the shop and if they have an exchange policy. In the case of DVDs, it's unlikely that they'll have a player and a screen on which you can watch the film, so the exchange policy is doubly important.

In actual fact, a CD can look as if it's been cleaned with a Brillo pad and yet play faultlessly, whilst an apparently pristine disc may not play at all (very rare). As long as any scratches don't go deeper than the protective layer, the data will remain undamaged. Any self-respecting used CD store will sell scratched discs at a lower price than clean ones, and they can be a bargain - a cheap, scratched one may be exactly what you're looking for. Let's say that you only want one or two songs from an album. If they are the only ones which play without skipping and if the price of the CD has been greatly reduced to reflect this, you've saved yourself a heap of money.

Bear in mind however that not every CD player is the same, and a CD which doesn't skip on the store player could well do so on yours at home. It's also a good idea to check that the disc inside the case is the one which matches the artwork - people don't always put discs back in the correct case after listening to them, and you don't want to buy Bolt Thrower's latest only to find when you get home that you've actually got yourself a copy of John Denver's Greatest Hits.

Since DVDs carry much more data than CDs5, a scratched DVD isn't as forgiving as a scratched CD and will be much more likely to skip. Check on that return policy again before buying.

If you're buying a used box set make sure it has the booklet, and any badges, stickers, posters, keychains, or other little doodads which came with it as new. If something is missing, ask if the price has been reduced accordingly. This obviously requires both you and the sales assistant to have the same knowledge of what the box set originally came with. Don't be too upset if theirs isn't as intimate as yours - they may well be dealing with many thousands of different titles in the course of their working week, whereas you're concentrating on only one. Of course, you may be lucky and find yourself talking to the one person in the store whose specialist knowledge is heavy metal and who knows exactly what that Kiss box set came with.

The Case and Artwork

Remember at all times that you're buying a used product, so don't expect everything to be in perfect condition. There are bound to be some scratches on the jewel case, and it may be cracked or have a broken lid - the plastic they make jewel cases from seems to be the most brittle substance known to mankind. Most used CD stores will also sell used and/or new jewel cases.

Is all the artwork there? If any is missing, find out if the price has been reduced by comparing it to other copies of the same title or by asking the staff.

The Price

For a used copy (in good condition) of a new release or a very popular CD, you should expect to pay about half the list price6. However, the same rule doesn't apply to all titles.

Some titles are harder than others to find used, and are therefore more expensive. It could be that the title is out of print and therefore the only way you're going to be able to get a copy is by purchasing it used. If it's out of print and collectable7, expect to pay even more. It could simply be that the album you're looking for is one which people prefer to hang on to rather than sell - the two main reasons that people sell CDs are that they either need some cash in a hurry or they've decided that they no longer listen to them and may as well get rid of them. A music lover is less likely to unload their collection of CDs by The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, or Ted Hawkins than those by the last-but-one teenage heart-throb, so expect the classics to be a little harder to find and a little more pricey than average.

Extra Tracks and Different Artwork

From time to time, a CD will be re-released with an extra track, or with a track deleted from the original release. Sometimes the artwork has to be changed, often because it was found to cause offence to a group or person. The original version of such CDs can become quite collectable.

When, for instance, In My Tribe by 10,000 Maniacs was released, it included their cover version of the Cat Stevens song Peace Train. Shortly afterwards, a fatwah was announced against the writer Salman Rushdie following the publication of his novel The Satanic Verses. It was believed by many people that Cat Stevens, who had converted to the Muslim faith some years earlier and taken the name Yusuf Islam, was in favour of the fatwah which called upon all devout Muslims to kill Mr Rushdie if they were presented with the opportunity. In light of that belief (which Yusuf Islam has since denied), the members of 10,000 Maniacs decided to delete Peace Train from all subsequent pressings of their album. The original copies are now much sought after by fans and fetch a hefty premium.

Promotional Discs

Record companies and artists who produce their own CDs send out dozens, hundreds, even thousands of free copies of each new title to journalists, music stores, and radio stations so that the content can be reviewed, or the album played before its official release date to tempt fans into buying it. Called 'promos', these are theoretically impossible to get hold of by us, the music-buying public, because the record company mark them as such by printing a message somewhere on the disc or the artwork to the effect that it's forbidden to sell the CD. Of course, the people who receive this bounty very often cash in on it by selling them to used CD stores, and they can become quite collectable.

Sometimes a promo will just be a regular copy of the finished CD with either a promo sticker somewhere on it, with a promo warning8 embossed on the artwork, with a slit cut into the jewel case, or a hole punched in the artwork (often in the barcode so that it can't be scanned at a checkout). Others look very similar to the final release but since they're not meant to be sold, these ones are easy to spot because they lack a barcode on the back.

Some record companies produce promos with a bare minimum of artwork, or with artwork different to that of the final release and identifying the CD as a promo. A number of companies use a plain colour on the CD label for all their promos, rather like the white labels that record companies often used for their promotional LPs and singles. There are also a few who, rather perversely (since they're not meant to reach the public), produce promos with the intention that they will become collectable. The number of different configurations and ideas which record companies think of to make a CD stand out from all the others is quite astonishing. Interview discs (most often sent out to radio stations) are also common. Recently, companies have been using the same kind of CDs you would buy to use in your home CD burner for promos.

In rare instances the company will send out promos which have a different track listing to the final release. These are the hardest to find and often the most sought after, particularly if a song on the promo didn't make it to the final release, or if the songs were later remixed.

Remastering

Advances in recording, mixing, and printing techniques have improved both the quality and level of the sound on CDs made today over those made when they first appeared in the 1980s. Record companies are steadily going through their back catalogues and 'remastering' previous CD releases to improve the sound. When a title, or sometimes an artist's entire collection is remastered, people will often sell their original copies and buy the new ones, so check the artwork for clues as to which one you're holding in your hand. It might be worth going first to one of the online CD stores to see if the remastered title has any bonus tracks - looking for those will help you to find out which one you've got.

If you're not fussy about owning the remastered version, keep an eye on the music press and music websites for impending releases of remastered versions - when enough purists sell their old, 'un-remastered' version, the price of it should come down and present a potential bargain.

Cash or Trade?

You should be able to get cash for your discs at any used CD store, but some will offer you a better price if instead of taking the cash you trade them for other CDs on sale at the store. Ask if they have a policy on trade, and if it applies to all CDs in the store whether used or new, or (more commonly) used CDs only.

Buying Used CDs and DVDs Online

A growing number of used CD stores are beginning to sell their merchandise online. This of course means that you won't be able to look at or listen to the album before you purchase it, and it entails a great deal more trust on the part of you the buyer. Have a look around the store's website for any FAQs9, and pay particular attention to any guarantee they may offer.

Some of the established online music stores, such as Amazon, have also started dabbling in the used CD and DVD trade. This offers an entirely different set of rules. Generally you will be buying your title from a third party who is using the online store's facility as their display window10. If a problem occurs with the transaction, it's usual for the buyer and the third party seller to resolve any disputes without the intervention of the website, although one or two of the larger online stores offer some kind of money-back guarantee.

Tens of thousands of used CDs and DVDs are also listed at online auction sites. Since you're dealing with an individual seller putting their own goods up for sale you're pretty much on your own should a problem arise. If your purchase turns out to be a dud - the disc is in a worse condition that advertised, you get the wrong one, or it doesn't show up - you've little recourse other than to leave the seller some negative feedback and avoid them in future dealings.

Having said that, you can get some great bargains at auction sites. A few sellers begin all their auctions at one penny or one cent, and if you're the only person bidding on it you could get that CD for as close to nothing as is possible. Check the shipping charges first though - those sellers have to make money somehow, and selling you a CD for one penny isn't going to put food on their table. Even if the shipping costs seem exorbitant, compare the total cost against what you would have paid for the same title new.

Before buying what appears to be a bargain, do some research. Online auction sites generally present the best bargains for most titles, but check out all three options before clicking that 'Add to Shopping Cart' link. You may actually have no choice in where you buy your CD/DVD from - one of the problems with buying CDs from a third party through a website such as Amazon is that sellers can only list CDs which are in Amazon's catalogue. What you won't be able to find on Amazon are out-of-print titles or promos. On an auction site, sellers are free to list whatever they want to sell as long as it doesn't infringe the rules set down by the website. eBay for instance considers promos to be questionable items, which means that they can be listed, but the auction may be pulled if a member of their Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) scheme takes umbrage.

Selling

Online Auctions

If you have a CD or two which you want to get rid of, search for it at an online auction site before hauling it off to the local used CD store - it could be more valuable than you think. For instance - each year during the five weeks between Thanksgiving Day and Christmas, knowledgeable residents of Austin, Texas scoop up handfuls of the limited edition Broadcasts CDs put out by local radio station KGSR because they know that these have become highly collectable over the years, and the lucky folks who paid around $5 for the very first one can expect to have people bidding as much as $150 for it online should they decide to list it for auction. At the time of writing, the latest release is Volume 10.

Music Websites

Selling your CD or DVD through a website such as Amazon can also bring in some worthwhile cash, unless you're selling the same title as 60, 70, 80, even as many as a hundred other people, in which case prices will be rock bottom - a buyer's market. Compare sale prices at the website against completed items at an online auction site - some titles fetch more money at one than at the other.

Used CD Stores

Selling to a used CD store is the perfect solution if you need some quick cash and can't wait a week or more for an auction to run its course, or indefinitely for someone to buy your disc from its listing at the online used music store. However, just because you paid half your weekly wage for a CD doesn't necessarily mean that you're going to get anything like that for it from a dealer.

Firstly, they have to make enough money from the CDs they buy from the public to pay their operating costs and turn a profit, making you in effect their wholesaler, and since wholesale prices are always less than retail you won't get anything like as much from them as you would if you sold it directly to a buyer. Secondly, it could well be that that you're the fifth person today who has tried to sell that particular title to them, and most used music stores will simply turn away any titles which they don't feel they need or can sell. A few have a policy of making an offer on anything which looks playable, but if it's a title which a lot of people want to sell but few are interested in buying, their offer may seem somewhat derisory to you. Don't take it out on the person behind the counter - if they have 300 copies of that title in backstock, why would they want to pay you more than a penny for that scratched copy with a busted case and no artwork?

1One or two of us went down the 8-track road, but that particular format soon went the way of laser discs and Betamax.2Also, 78s will shatter easily if dropped onto a hard surface.3It's not yet known exactly how long individual CDs will last because no-one knows how long it will take for the plastic substrate to degrade.4Fuelled by the incredible fall in the price of DVD players and the extra features which aren't available on a VHS cassette.5Close to 5Gb on a DVD, as opposed to a mere 740Mb on a CD.6The list price is the recommended retail price according to the record company.7Such as Milli Vanilli, Prince's Black Album, or the first and third albums by The Travelling Wilburys.8Usually along the lines of 'For promotional use only: Not for sale. This remains property of the record company and must be returned on request'.9Frequently asked questions.10For the privilege of which they pay a listing fee and a percentage of the price if and when the disc sells.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A1149284

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more