A Conversation for A Guide to Buying Flowers

meanwhile in Russia...

Post 1

Dr_Woland

Russians are obsessed with flower-giving, and do so far more often than the average Brit, it seems to me? You might not be able to get anything as useful as a hot-dog or a pint of milk at dead of night here in Moscow, but you can always find flowers on sale, at 3am.

Russians only ever give ODD NUMBERS of flowers. "A dozen roses? Are you mad?" they said to me in the flower-shop. "You mean 11, or 13, don't you?".

Giving an even number of flowers is considered intensely bad luck.

It used to be thought that yellow flowers were for funerals only in Russia, but in the past decade this habit has dropped from currency, and you can give yellow flowers on any occasion.

Dr W.


meanwhile in Russia...

Post 2

Boots

Interesting Dr W. Perhaps that is why we use odd numbers when arranging flowers over here...some research could be in order.
take care
boots


meanwhile in Russia...

Post 3

ruth786

pish.

no-one ever gave me flowers when I was in Moscow.

Only vodka.


meanwhile in Russia...

Post 4

Boots

vodka's cool!
take care
boots


meanwhile in Russia...

Post 5

Sea Change

The small american city I live in has a large immigrant Russian/Ukrainian population. This explains why their shops always have the best flowers!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more