New Year's Eve Celebrations in South-central Pennsylvania, USA Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

New Year's Eve Celebrations in South-central Pennsylvania, USA

1 Conversation

A 'Happy New Year' collage.

Many local governments in south-central Pennsylvania seem to be into dropping things to celebrate the coming of the New Year.

As far as anybody can figure, the tradition of dropping things to mark the start of the New Year began in New York City in the early 1900s. In Times Square in the heart of Manhattan, a lighted ball was lowered from a flagpole to mark the start of a new year. According to experts, marking the start of a new year with fireworks, horns, whistles and bells is supposed to be an Old World tradition to frighten away evil spirits.

But dropping things from great heights is apparently an American invention. And the notion seems to have really taken hold of the collective psyche of the people living in south-central Pennsylvania.

It all started in the late 1980s when officials with the city of Harrisburg lowered an 8-foot high strawberry from a downtown high-rise. The strawberry doesn't have any special significance for the city other than the fact that a shopping mall across from State Capitol is named 'Strawberry Square'.

As the years passed, the festivities grew and thousands flocked to downtown Harrisburg to ring in the New Year.

The business leaders of other cities in south-central Pennsylvania saw all of that money being spent in downtown Harrisburg and realised an opportunity to make some profits of their own. Soon enough, other cities in the area began hosting their own events.

Some of the towns celebrating the New Year with drops in the recent past included:

  • Lancaster which drops a red rose
  • York which drops a white rose
  • Lebanon which drops a bologna
  • New Bloomfield which drops a huckleberry
  • Duncannon which drops a sled
  • Elizabethtown which drops an M&M
  • Hummelstown which drops a lollipop
  • Dillsburg which drops a pickle
  • And Falmouth which drops a goat

OK, we'll try to explain a bit...

Lancaster and York are named after the famous houses in England's War of the Roses, so their dropping of large roses should be pretty self-evident.

Lebanon is famous for the production of the Pennsylvania Dutch treat Lebanon Bologna which is a sweet bologna, so dropping a 16-foot long tube of lunch meat was a perfect fit.

New Bloomfield, the county seat of Perry County, drops a huckleberry because in a state forest nearby is the famous box huckleberry plant which is reputed to be one of the oldest living things on Earth.

Duncannon drops a sled because there is a famous sled factory in town there. Likewise, Elizabethtown is home to an M&M/Mars chocolate factory so they drop an imitation giant M&M candy. Hummelstown is home to a lollipop factory so naturally, they drop a 9-foot high sucker.

Dillsburg has nothing to do with pickles however. The town is named for its founder, an Ulster-Scot immigrant who settled there in the 1740s. But over the years Dillsburg has made fun of its name with pickle-themed street festivals and alleys in town with pickle names.

And as for Falmouth in north-western Lancaster County? A goat?!?

Falmouth is home to the Falmouth Goat Races each September, an unusual sporting event if ever there was one! It's a small village with a great sense of humour. One New Year's Eve the goat drop event organisers advertised that musical entertainment would be provided by a musical 'trio' which turned out to be the township secretary playing CDs through his two speakers.

Another fact that the organisers don't make all too clear until you arrive is that the goat in question is a stuffed animal that they lower from a flagpole. And yes, many people do consider that they might lower a live goat in some kind of harness but this Researcher saw for himself what was going on!

The key ingredient in each of these events is a sense of fun. It's a great way to get out and celebrate the end of the old year and the beginning of the new one. Most are alcohol-free, family-oriented events with dancing, music, games and entertainment. They're a lot like a community fair stuck in the middle of winter1.

And if you're ever find yourself in south-central Pennsylvania on New Year's Eve, one of these events is worth stopping by to ring in the New Year. It's not everybody who can say they celebrated the New Year with a giant pickle or a stuffed goat!

1But since it is wintertime, do remember to dress warmly!

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Edited Entry

A1053848

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Credits

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more