A Conversation for 'The Monitor' and 'The 'Merrimack' Armoured Ships

Excellent

Post 1

Uncle Ghengis

A good subject, and quite well written.

But I couldn't quite get the bit about "The Monitor had 16 times the deaths of its adversary"... Does that mean The Monitor CAUSED more deaths or SUSTAINED more deaths?

Also, I noticed that there was no metion of some other facts...

The Monitor was perhaps the first ship to use a 'turret' - a rotating structure to enable the 2 guns to come to bear on a target whatever the angle - the precursor of many more modern ships. Indeed she gave her name to a whole class of coastal-defence ships thta were known as 'Monitors'. (Nonetheless, turrets took a long time to become accepted as good design, partly because of the indecisive nature of this very battle - otherwise known as 'the Battle of Hampton Roads'

Merrimack in contrast - had 20 guns which were arranged to fire sideways - as a broadside, a far more conventional design for the day.


Excellent

Post 2

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

The Monitor sustained more deaths. smiley - ok


Excellent

Post 3

Uncle Ghengis

Aw. Shame... I hoped that the Monitor (being the more advanced design) would have won...

But as every account I've read says - the battle was pretty indecisive.


Excellent

Post 4

J

Sorry it took me too long to respond, I got two entries on the front page the same day smiley - yikes and the other one was a lot worse smiley - smiley and needed some sorting out.

I concur. The monitor should have won, my being from a northern state, I have to admit I was cheering the little guy on from my computer. smiley - biggrin

Some parts of the Monitor were well designed, but others weren't as much. It was like a little raft, in all honesty smiley - biggrin

smiley - blacksheep


Excellent

Post 5

Uncle Ghengis

I gather the guns were really slow to reload - even for those days!


Excellent

Post 6

Bluebottle

A good article - but a couple of errors. Firstly, Cowper Coles had experimented with turret ships during the Crimean War, continueing to experiment with turret-ship designs from raft form in 1859, through HMS Prince Albert in 1862 until the HMS Captain disaster.

<BB<


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more