A Conversation for 'Reasons to Be Cheerful' - the Song

Resons

Post 1

Master of None

Hi,

Good to have a reminder of this - much better summed up Ian Dury than Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll (although a classic in its own right).

Hate to niggle (well, no I don't actually), but I thought it was Equal Rights not Votes, but I suppose I could be wrong. Some nasty person nicked my 12" version of this in about 1992, so I've not listened to it for a bit. Also, 'Elvis and Scotty' doesn't ring a bell nor does 'La Vincent Motorcycle', but I'll listen out next time.

'Something nice to study' - I don't see why this can't be taken at face value. Ian studied art at college I believe (as did I), and putting together a thesis on Soviet Propoganda Porcelain gave me great pleasure....honest!

The rock'n'roll references are very easy to explain, as Ian was a child of the 50s. Just as my 'Reasons...' would have references to punk, so his youthful memories would have been from the 50s/60s (Smokey MUST have been Robinson). Don't forget 'Sweet Gene Vincent'.

I always loved the 'Why don't you get back into bed' line too, the mental picture is so vivid, and when you think back to 'Wake up, and make love to me', the link to tumbling under the covers as the early morning sun streams through the window, and the first mug of tea of the day cools on the bedside table....anyway,

Thanks,

MoN


Resons

Post 2

Demon Drawer

But rights doesn't rhyme with goats.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more