The Netherlands: Introduction | Topography | Facts and Figures |
Polders and Dykes | The Dutch National Anthem | Dutch - the Language | Dutch Pronunciation | Dutch Grammar | Handy Dutch Phrases |
The Dutch | Transportation in the Netherlands
The Netherlands is a small country located in Western Europe. It borders the North Sea, between Belgium and Germany.
- Official name: Koninkrijk der Nederlanden (Kingdom of the Netherlands)
- Short name: Nederland (The Netherlands)
Constitutional monarchy, parliamentary democracy.
Amsterdam; The Hague is the seat of government.
Chief of State
Queen Beatrix Wilhelmina Armgard.
Head of Government
Prime Minister Mark Rutte.
- Total area: 37,330km2
- Land area: 33,920km2
- Total 1,027km
- Belgium 450km
- Germany 577km
- Coastline: 451km
Temperate: marine. Cool summers and mild winters.
Mostly coastal lowland and reclaimed land (polders); some hills in the southeast.
- Lowest point - Prins Alexanderpolder: minus 7m (below sealevel)
- Highest point - Vaalserberg (Drielandenpunt): 321m
Natural gas, petroleum, fertile soil.
- 0-14 years: 18% (male 1.5 million; female 1.4 million)
- 15-64 years: 68% (male 5.5 million; female 5.3 million)
- 65 years and over: 14% (male 0.9 million; female 1.3 million)
Population Growth Rate
Life Expectancy at Birth
- Total population: 78 years
- Male: 76 years
- Female: 81 years
Dutch: 91%. Moroccans, Turks, and other: 9%
- Roman Catholic: 34%
- Protestant: 25%
- Muslim: 3%
- other: 2%
- unaffiliated: 36%
Majority of facts and figures based on 2001 statistics.