| Updating an Approved Entry
Flea Market is where Entries from other Review Forums are moved to if the author 'Elvises' (leaves the building), or abandons their Entry for some other reason.
For authors looking for inspiration, the Flea Market also offers a place where they can pick up discarded Entries, give them a polish, and try to get them into the Approved version of h2g2 as collaborative Entries. Think of it like a home for lost Entries.
Which Entries Are Eligible?
Anyone can submit an Entry to the Flea Market from the wider H2G2 community, but only if it's deemed appropriate by the author, or if the Entry has been submitted to another Review Forum. It is the task of the Scouts to officially nominate an Entry for withdrawal from that Forum into the Flea Market, but anyone else can suggest it. The h2g2 Editors will then move the Entry from that Forum to Flea Market (an automated message will appear on the author's Personal Space to let them know).
Please don't submit any Entries to the Flea Market if you either plan on them being selected for the Approved version of the site as written, or if you don't have permission from the author. Flea Market is only for Entries that have been in Review Forums like Peer Review or the Writing Workshop, but which have ground to a halt because the author is no longer around.
How You Can Help
If you spot an Entry here in the Flea Market that you'd like to take on and finish off yourself, then here's how to do it:
- Post to the relevant Conversation thread below, saying that you'd like to take that Entry under your wing.
- Visit the existing Entry, and using the Test URL copy the GuideML for that Entry.
- Create a new Entry by clicking on the 'Write an Entry', and paste in the GuideML from the Entry you copied. Ensure the GuideML choice is selected (you may have to click on the 'Change Style' button) when creating your new Entry.
- Make sure you add the original author as a Researcher on your copy, using the 'Edit the Researcher List' section of the 'Write/Edit an Entry' page. Every Researcher has an U-number, and you simply need to type that number into the 'Researcher List' section when creating your new Entry. Do remember, though, to hit SAVE.
- Also visit the Personal Space of the original author and post a polite message there saying that you found their Entry in the Flea Market and would very much like to finish it off for them. Ask them to drop you a line should they return to H2G2.
- Post a link to your copy of the Entry in the relevant Flea Market Conversation thread below, and invite any comments.
- When you think the new Entry is ready for Approval, you can put it into Peer Review by clicking on the 'Submit for Review' link, selecting the Peer Review forum and providing links to the original Entry and any other Peer Review threads. Ensure you also leave a note on the Flea Market thread concerning the rescued Entry, along with the A-number of your rescue and a link to the new Peer Review thread.
From Peer Review the rescued Entry will hopefully be selected for inclusion into the Approved version of the site. If you successfully rescue an Entry from the Flea Market, your name will be added to the Hall of Scavengers, any more and you could earn yourself the title of official H2G2 Scavenger - with a badge for your Personal Space. Isn't that incentive enough?
Why not browse through all the Flea Market and see if entries there interest you?
By 'Elvising', we mean not posting to H2G2 for a good long time, a couple of months is the general rule of thumb. You could consider it more going for a long walk round the building with the firm intention of returning, but getting distracted by what's outside.
If they are still around.
If you want to get to the GuideML for Entry Axxxxxx, then go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/Testxxxxxx where you will be able to select and copy the GuideML to your local machine.
An automated message will appear on any Researcher's Personal Space if one of their Entries is submitted to the Flea Market. This Conversation thread is a great place to add a message about adopting someone's Entry.
This helps the Scouts when they are tidying up the Flea Market Forum.
Remember though, it will still be reviewed, so be prepared to make changes...
Guide Entries in Review
|Entry||Subject||Date Entered||Last Posted||Author||Author ID|
A892460||CPR||Feb 19, 2003||Feb 19, 2003||ZY||
A556265||How to cook Tempeh||Jul 11, 2001||May 17, 2006||Zoonie||
A3634058||Sean Kennedy and Kult||May 10, 2005||Jul 12, 2005||Zeek, the Keeper ...||
A934463||Buridan's Paradox||Jul 16, 2003||Sep 4, 2003||Zed||
A34453||The town of Dunoon||Sep 6, 2008||Sep 6, 2008||Zaphod||
A54004600||Validation||Sep 3, 2009||Oct 3, 2012||yellowpapillon||
A1047124||The Influence of Tanks in World War II||Jul 28, 2003||Oct 16, 2012||Yataghan||
A1047016||Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia||Oct 2, 2003||Aug 27, 2006||Yataghan||
A2688870||Kings of Chaos - a MMORPG||Dec 13, 2004||Oct 17, 2012||xwing328||
A1286282||A Brief Essay on the History of Standard Written English||Aug 16, 2005||Oct 16, 2012||XiaoMuu||
A1018108||Feeder - the band||Dec 8, 2003||Oct 16, 2012||X3JA||
A3945602||Lubbock , Texas, USA||Oct 20, 2005||Oct 16, 2012||wynneth||
A1113986||The Early Saxon Settlers In Essex Part 1||Jul 8, 2004||Jul 8, 2004||Wulfric||
A280946||Aberdeen, Scotland||Oct 31, 2000||Oct 25, 2012||woodenpole||
A4048977||Georgia Tech||Oct 24, 2005||Oct 24, 2005||wisaweu_amoe||
A53980301||Spooks - BBC Drama Series||Sep 11, 2009||Sep 11, 2009||winkythesock||
A86295108||Spider Bites And Various Types Of Spiders||Jan 5, 2013||Jan 5, 2013||White Novo||
A5782908|| Shopping Mall Security Guards (US)||Aug 1, 2006||Aug 1, 2006||Waiting for the e...||
A689475||The Ozone Layer (homepage)||Aug 16, 2005||6 Weeks Ago||vogonpoet (AViato...||
A51968901||Lederhosen||Sep 3, 2009||Oct 31, 2012||ViolentHill||
Click here to see more Guide Entries