A Conversation for Homer's Odyssey

Homer's use of formulae

Post 41

ismarah - fuelled by M&Ms

Unless researchers are referred to as Researchers...

Although after I´d emailed Anna about this, and she told me it had been updated, it still looked the same to me smiley - huh

I´ll check again, using my trusty F5 button...

cheerssmiley - disco ismarah


Homer's use of formulae

Post 42

anhaga

There's also the question of the "you"s. Second person seems not quite right.


Homer's use of formulae

Post 43

Tom-the-flip-side

Do you not think 'you' (second person) is more personal? More interesting? Non-lectureing but helpful?

Tom thinks so. smiley - winkeye


Homer's use of formulae

Post 44

anhaga

It is certainly more personal, perhaps more interesting, and non-lecturing and maybe even helpful. I'm just not sure what the Guidelines think of "you". Not you personally; the second person pronoun "you". smiley - biggrin


Homer's use of formulae

Post 45

gareis

Anhaga palsalge:
"I think the unusual spelling of names is just a case of typos. There are variations in transcription of the Greek but the examples you give don't look like any of the variations I've seen."

There's a standard transcription for Greek, but nobody uses it these days. (Not since the Romans....) Whenever we write |c| or |i|, it should be |k| and |y| respectively. Other than that, most schemes agree on which is which.

I suppose that the standard scheme isn't used because it makes Greek look more primitive. |c| is a more civilized letter in most peoples' minds, though I've no idea why. I prefer |k| to remove ambiguity.

~gareis


Homer's use of formulae

Post 46

gareis

Oh, and the singular of 'formulae' is 'formula'. I noticed use of 'A formulae' in the guide entry.

Forgive my pedanticism.


Homer's use of formulae

Post 47

anhaga

Pendanticism is always welcomed by me.smiley - biggrin Your typo correction should be posted here A388334 and it will be taken care of promptly. I agree with your feelings about the transcription of Greek. My post that you were commenting on was in reference to a number of highly irregular spellings of Greek names which appeared in an earlier version of the entry.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more