A Conversation for Great Horror Movies

Foreign ones

Post 1

PaulBateman

I've heard the original Japanese vrsion of Ring is quite scary - hope to see it this weekend, so full report then.

The Eye (from Hong Kong?) is supposed to be quite good as well.


Foreign ones

Post 2

Albaus

I would love to see the original version of the Ring, please let us know what you think of it.

I loved the American version, if loved is the right word for practically jumping out of my seat in terror - the ushers needed a spatula to scrape us off the ceiling when the lights went upsmiley - smiley I went with two friends (we are all women in our 30's) and we were literally screaming the place down - luckily we were the only ones in the theatre that afternoon or I think we would have been asked to shut the hell up. I just don't do that when watching a horror movie - scream like a kid and try to climb into my friend's chair - on a regular basis, nor do my friends, usually. I also took great delight in the fact that they would cover their faces and then say "can I look yet?" and I would say yes, just as something particularly horrible came on the screen.

What was really unusual was the way it kept coming back to the three of us at various times, we were still getting an adrenaline rush days later just talking about it. That first night, whenever I closed my eyes, all I could see was the arm coming out of the well. Ugh. And that video sequence at the start of the movie, very disturbing.

I loved every minute of it and could have happily gone back to see it again. Did you enjoy the American version of the movie?


Foreign ones

Post 3

Hathornefer (ACE) Near miss - isnt that what you'd call a hit

Having seen both I concur that the original is far better than the hollywood remake (as ever)smiley - ok. I just wish I had the original two films so I could write moresmiley - sadface.

Still - I have other smiley - fish to fry on the subject of horror films so I am going of to compose for a while.

Toodles

Hath
x

(Slightly to the right of barking smiley - silly)


Foreign ones

Post 4

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like


Kronos, a funny little Mexican horror movie - excellently weird and creepy. Directed by Guillermo Del Toro, who did Species and Blade II. And shortly to bring us Hellboy, which should be an absolute scream...

The Ring rocks - I was actually scared at the end, ansd I'm rarely *scared* by horror movies...

Oh, Tetsuo is a pretty gruelling experience, by Japanese auteur Shinya Tsakamoto.

smiley - shark


Foreign ones

Post 5

Ralph the Wonder Llama and André the dodo; Excrement Occurs

I came across the Ring DVD for €4,95. One of the best purchases I ever did. It's really cool.


Foreign ones

Post 6

Ku'Reshtin (Bring the beat back!)

My comments about Ring can be found at F110476?thread=267256


Foreign ones

Post 7

Ralph the Wonder Llama and André the dodo; Excrement Occurs

smiley - ok


Foreign ones

Post 8

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like


Just found my copy (unwatched after six months) of The Devils Backbone, by Del Torro. Maybe I shoulsd watch it sometime...smiley - erm

smiley - shark


Foreign ones

Post 9

Chronicargonaut

I saw the Devils Backbone on BBC4 recently. I didn't find it that scary really, and Radio Times said it was really creepy. I had to disagree, and my wife found it boring. At least we did our bit to increase the viewing figures for that channel...


Foreign ones

Post 10

Zucchini

For the record, The Eye is a great film - not really a horror film though, more of just a good ghost story (Anyone remember an older HK ghost story movie called Rouge?) with the occasional fun SHOCK scene.
The lead actress is very cute - I can't believe I can't remember her name as she's one of my favourite Taiwanese pop stars.


Key: Complain about this post