A Conversation for Tips on How to Live in a Shared Household

Mess Tolerance

Post 1

AndyRaz

I haven't seen this mentioned yet so here goes...
In my experience, single people in shared housing end up doing an amount of house work closely related to their ability to tolerate mess; despite any system of rules that may exist. I have shared in 2-4 person households and have had the lowest mess tolerance in some, and the highest in others. Where I had the lowest mess tolerance I fought feelings of frustration at needing to do more work to keep the place "habitable". Talking and cajoling was only a partial solution. Then when I ended up in a house where my mess tolerance was the highest, I tried not to take advantage of that too muchsmiley - smiley.

Another point, where cleaning roles were not strictly rostered the I've noticed a tendancy for all householders to miss efforts that others made to maintian the place, and feel that they are doing a disproportionate amount of the chores. This was most marked for me in 2 person households.

Andrew Rasmussen


Key: Complain about this post

Mess Tolerance

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more