A Conversation for The Wit and Wisdom of Ralph Wiggum

Superb.

Post 1

Saturnine

Fantastic article!!! smiley - wow I never thought I would see such a piece of writing on h2g2. smiley - smiley

There is a small typo near the top...you've put "Barnard" instead of "Bernard"...

smiley - biggrin


Superb.

Post 2

Mat Lindsay (the researcher formerly known as Nylarthotep...now he has a name, all he needs is a face)

Thanks for the praise!

I used the spelling "Barnard" as opposed to "Bernard" because of the fact that Lisa Simpson refers to him as Barnard when she names him as a suspect for the killing of Mr Burns in the classic two-parter "Who Shot Mr Burns?" and also as his name is Barny as opposed to Berny.

That's my take on it at least.


Superb.

Post 3

Mat Lindsay (the researcher formerly known as Nylarthotep...now he has a name, all he needs is a face)

By the way, what do you mean when you say that you never thought a piece like this would appear on this site?


Superb.

Post 4

Saturnine

Well it's really random, that's all! Really good too.

But the spelling of the name is still incorrect - no matter how it is pronounced. Barny is the accepted shortened version of Bernard (said Bar'nard or Burn'urd depending on where you come from)...


Superb.

Post 5

Mat Lindsay (the researcher formerly known as Nylarthotep...now he has a name, all he needs is a face)

I just found the fact that someone was referring to the old boozehound in such a formal way.

Here's to more lighthearted articles.


Superb.

Post 6

Dr. Rjinswand

scunthorpe rocks. Check out the article. Or don't. Don't ask me, why should I know. What. WHAT??!?? khgvbervskdnvf


Superb.

Post 7

Saturnine

The sad thing about Barney is that he's all now reformed. How I miss that belch...*wipes a tear away*


Superb.

Post 8

Mat Lindsay (the researcher formerly known as Nylarthotep...now he has a name, all he needs is a face)

Out of the blue, or your head...both apply.

The "Scunthorpe Problem" was mildly amusing though.


Superb.

Post 9

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Excellent article! More of this standard, please! smiley - ok


Barnard v. Bernard

Post 10

Shrubber

In one episode, Barney quits drinking and promises that the world will
see:

"a new Barnard Gumble". It is correct.

-Shrubber
(a major Simpsons geek)


Barnard v. Bernard

Post 11

Mat Lindsay (the researcher formerly known as Nylarthotep...now he has a name, all he needs is a face)

Two to one in favour of Barnard.

Any other takers?


Barnard v. Bernard

Post 12

Mina

Most of The Simpsons websites that his name is on have him down as Barnard.


Barnard v. Bernard

Post 13

Mat Lindsay (the researcher formerly known as Nylarthotep...now he has a name, all he needs is a face)

One more for the home team!


Barnard v. Bernard

Post 14

Just Another Number

Fantastic article - that line about Super Nintendo Chalmers still makes me giggle! smiley - biggrin

Interested in this whole Bernard / Barnard thing. So I did a bit of clicking...

My personal opinion is leaning toward Bernard. I agree with people who've said that Bernard is a far more popular name than Barnard, that Bernard is the usual root of the abbreviation Barney, and the name Bernard may be pronounced to sound like "Barnard" with the emphasis on the second syllable.

Searches on Google for "Bernard Gumble" then "Barnard Gumble" brought in many more results for Bernard, although there was a healthy showing for Barnard.

I looked at three different sites about names and their origins. Each listed Barnard just as a modern variation on the original name stem of Bernard, which itself is an anglification of the Ancient German name of Beornheard (meaning "Strong Bear").

But the killer is on Simpsons.com, the official site. They list our good ol' Mr. Gumble simply as Barney. I'm afraid that until we recieve confirmation from a certain Mr. Groening at Simpsons HQ - it's all just mere speculation! smiley - winkeye


Barnard v. Bernard

Post 15

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Just to add to the confusion, I did the same experiment; almost all the "Barnard" variants are on German language pages - I suspect "Barnard" is the common German spelling of "Bernard"... smiley - erm


Barnard v. Bernard

Post 16

Saturnine

Surely you can find an email addy on the Simpsons site? Go and email Mr Groening NOW! Dammit! I know I am right...

smiley - steamsmiley - laugh


Barnard v. Bernard

Post 17

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

"Groening" does sound of German derivation, so that could well be his preferred spelling... smiley - smiley

(My preferred Spelling is Tori... smiley - silly)


Barnard v. Bernard

Post 18

Mat Lindsay (the researcher formerly known as Nylarthotep...now he has a name, all he needs is a face)

My God, and I thought that I was pedantic!


Barnard v. Bernard

Post 19

Chadsmoor Charlie

If Barney is short for Bernard, what is Bernie short for?

Charlie smiley - chick


Barnard v. Bernard

Post 20

Saturnine

Bernadette...


Key: Complain about this post

Superb.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more