A Conversation for The Origins and Common Usage of British Swear-words

On w****rs

Post 1

Mu Beta

The little paragraph about the w-word being lost on Americans takes me back to one of Odo's favourite console games, merely because of the in-apt use of this word.

In Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4, there is a level set in an alleged London, and one little task involves hitching your skateboard behind a motorbike and sidecar containing two policeman who try to bat you off with their truncheons. Amid the voice samples used for the policemen is a Dick van Dyke-esque Cockney accent saying "get off, you w***r!" which has been known to cause great hilarity among young children (and Odo) and outrage among mothers.

B


On w****rs

Post 2

katrinka

yes...this word would have meant absolutely nothing to me (since I live in Canada, which, although better than the US, still IMO is not as cool as GB...which is why I want to move there) until a few months ago I got Aladdin Sane (Bowie's 1973 album). My favourite song on it is 'Time', which has a nice line near the beginning:
"Time, flexes like a whore,
Falls w***ing to the floor"

*smiles wistfully* the UK's got such a better history, and better swear-words...


On w****rs

Post 3

AgProv2

Use of the word in American TV shows: you can add Mork and Mindy to the list, as Mindy's landlord in later series was a Mr. Wanker... in the middle seventies, at five in the evening - a SUNDAY evening - on Granada,we could not beleive our ears that the Yanks seemed totally oblivious of the true meaning of the word. (Robin Williams, who we later discovered was Scottish-born, knew alright, and threw the word around with some gusto and frequency.)


On w****rs

Post 4

Wryly

My favourite use on Mork & Mindy (as a kid) was Mork exclaiming:
"Ah W****r, bummer"
Which in English parlance was a double whammy, as 'bumming' is a juvenile expression for sodomy, and a bummer....


On w****rs

Post 5

clzoomer- a bit woobly

In Canada (at least around here), someone who wastes time is often referred as a w*****. Thus the sing-song refrain of someone standing around at work- *W***, w***, money in the bank!*


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more