A Conversation for The Obscene Publications Act, 1857

Music

Post 1

Bagpuss

Wasn't it under this act that the Sex Pistols were tried for their album "Never Mind the B******s"? If so, I'm surprised music doesn't get a mention.

Um, sorry to moan, it is a good article, by the way.


Music

Post 2

I'm not really here

Thanks. smiley - smiley

I've heard two stories about this. One that it was tried under the 1899 Indecent Advertising Act, and one that it was tried under the 1959 Obscene Publications Act.

Music censorship is almost unknown, as it is difficult to prove that it's harmful, and it would interfere with artistic expression. The 1854 amendment covers it - "Convictions would not occur if the publication could be proved to be 'in the interests of science, literature, art or learning'."

And to be honest, the case wasn't famous enough.


Music

Post 3

I'm not really here

Of course, that should be 1954, not 1854. smiley - doh


Music

Post 4

Bagpuss

I didn't know there were two different Obscene Publications Acts. I suppose that's why these articles are useful. smiley - biggrin

I've no idea which law the Pistol's were prosecuted under, but I've heard a good story about how they got off.


Music

Post 5

Vonce

Two Obscene Publications Acts? How low has human society dropped? Censorship...feh.


Music

Post 6

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

Not two acts, but amended versions of the same Act.
The 1959 Act amended earlier acts. It's basically a way of keeping tabs on new technology.
The latest amendments to the Act, for example, deal with computer porn. It doesn't create a new Act, it merely adds to the old one.
smiley - shark


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more