A Conversation for Common Frogs in the UK

My Pond

Post 1

laural-tree

I have a pond on my garden, and on one side of it, whenever a young frog jumps out onto the stone, they seem to stick it.
I cant think what to do for them.
I can't be outside watching all the time.
Do you have any ideas of what I can do?
Besides putting big leafs around the edging, which blow away as soon as I look away, I've even tried wetting the stone at regular intervals but still they are dying.


My Pond

Post 2

Mina

If lifting the concrete isn't an option you could try planting some creeping plants around the edges of the pond. There are quite a few plants which will creep across concrete looking for somewhere they can attach, but of course you have to think about whether they will find the pond and suck it dry! Probably only a worry if you have a rather small pond...

Otherwise try some tall planting around the edge to see if the shade it creates is enough to keep the concrete cool enough for them not to stick to it.

One more idea - add another small pond, build it up a bit higher, then create a waterfall into your main pond, or you can buy waterfall statues to add to the edge.

good luck with the poor frogs.


My Pond

Post 3

laural-tree

Thanks for your advice. I cannot lift the slabs from around the edges as it will mean pulling the whole pond up. The lining is concreted to the slabs.
I can let it grow over the edges though as it has grass all around it.
I was hoping you may have a short term solution, my partner mentioned putting a little veg oil on the slabs but that will heat up and be just as bad wouldn't it?


My Pond

Post 4

Mina

I've given you all the answers I can think of - cooking oil not really a good idea. You might like to try the gardening message board in case anyone else has some better ideas http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbgardening/ or contact your local wildlife trust.


My Pond

Post 5

laural-tree

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
Now however, my main concern is how long I'm going to need to wait until I can safely mow the lawn without killing any little frogs!
I thought alot of them died and once they left the pond and I would only be left with a small number. It seems though that I have roughly 80 - 100 of them still hopping around the garden.
I will not put them at risk in any way, it's just my grass is at my shins with this weather we've been having and I'm itching to cut it.


My Pond

Post 6

Mina

When I've got those tiddly frogs I just mow really slowly - they will hop out of the way, but obviously they need time. Try to make sure there is lots of cover among the flower beds if you have them.

Mind you, I haven't mowed half my garden since about April and the other half is shin high most of the time. I hate mowing the lawn!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more