A Conversation for Hangul - the Korean Writing System

Editing

Post 1

Max C

The editor of this article did a smashing job -- this version is certainly better than the original!

One change that was made was that the North Koreans have "neighbours" to their South rather than "compatriots" in the original. I guess the BBC can't be seen to make a statement that might be seen as political. However, not even the government of North Korea think that the two Koreas have a long-term future as separate countries. Korea is one country, divided, even more so than Germany was.


Editing

Post 2

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Thanks Max.smiley - smiley

I can't let the folks at the BBC take the blame for the change. On the one hand it does detract from the sense of the two Koreas being a nation divided; but I was concerned about the phrase confusing anyone about the two Koreas being separate political entities at the present.

The present situation in the North can't last forever. It will be interesting to see how the future unfurls when Kim Jong Il and his mates ship out. Let's hope China doesn't become too nostalgic.

JTG


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Hangul - the Korean Writing System

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more