A Conversation for The Open University

Certain things missing.

Post 1

Cheerful Dragon

I can't believe that an article on the OU doesn't mention Harold Wilson, who was determined that it should be started. A product of the standard University system (a double first from Oxford, I believe), he was adamant that a University education should be available to everybody, regardless of age, education level, personal circumstances ... He fought colleagues in all Parliamentary parties, including his own, to get the OU started. Long may it continue.

Also, the OU does more than just Bachelor's degrees. I got my MSc from the OU a year or two ago. They also do MBAs and, as far as I can recall, doctorates / research courses. I can't remember the points requirements for MBAs, but the MSc consisted of 120 points from studied units and 60 from a dissertation. There was no time limit for the studied units, but the dissertation had to be completed in 9 months, starting in January. Also, there were two start dates for studying units for the MSc, one in March, the other in November. (I believe this may have changed.)


Certain things missing.

Post 2

Konrad (1x6^(9-8)x(8-1)=42) (OMFC) (Goo at work, alabaster at home)

Well, you've got me.

I suppose I could have added a line or two about the history of the OU but really I was aiming for an article about the current system, not the history of the institution.

As for postgrad - I thought it was implicit, but having re-read it now, you can read the entry and come to the conclusion that only first degrees are offered.

Konrad


Certain things missing.

Post 3

Konrad (1x6^(9-8)x(8-1)=42) (OMFC) (Goo at work, alabaster at home)

Well, you've got me.

I suppose I could have added a line or two about the history of the OU but really I was aiming for an article about the current system, not the history of the institution.

As for postgrad - I thought it was implicit, but having re-read it now, you can read the entry and come to the conclusion that only first degrees are offered.

Konrad


Certain things missing.

Post 4

TripQ

There's been quite a few changes over the last year or so as well.

They've introduced 10 point courses that last about 8 weeks and have no exam, just a single End of Course Assesment (ECA).

Many of the Level 1 courses are replacing exams with ECAs.

Summer Schools are being seperated from their associated courses and are being assesed (being worth 10 points). That means that SSs are no longer compulsory - unless one wants a named degree.


Certain things missing.

Post 5

flipper

It is a shame that summer schools are being phased out as they are a part of the Open university legend. As a veteren of two summer schools,1994 keele and 1995 durham, I can vouch for their social and academic value. I loved studying with the Open University and it changed my life, I recommend it to anyone.


Certain things missing.

Post 6

Researcher 217178

well yes except that Harold Wilson did not go to the local comprehensive, he went to a very well respected Grammar school. Wirral Grammar school for Boys on The Wirral.


Key: Complain about this post