How to Solve 'The Times' Crossword Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

How to Solve 'The Times' Crossword

8 Conversations

The stated intention of The Times crossword editor is to produce puzzles that any moderately well-educated person with a love of language and problem-solving can complete without recourse to reference books. Unfortunately for most of us, the definition of 'moderately well-educated' is a moot point! Neophytes1 shouldn't be put off, though, because solving the crossword is very rewarding; there is a common love of words and word association between compilers and solvers, which means that solving the crossword is like sharing a clever new trick with a group of friends.

The Times Crossword entry tells us that solving the crossword is just a case of learning the clues, but the real test is learning how to use the clues. Some clues are repeated, but generally they are original:

Broadcaster heard in island (4)2

However, many people are unaware that the clues usually fall into certain set categories, which are 'signposted' by words in the clue. This entry will attempt to explain the types of clue and illustrate some of the signposts.

Many of the techniques will apply equally to other cryptic crosswords in British newspapers, such as The Daily Telegraph and The Financial Times; but each crossword has a slightly different style. All of the examples presented here are from The Times, unless otherwise stated. The Times also publishes a Jumbo Weekend crossword on Saturdays. The techniques for solving these are very similar, but the grids tend to consist of more obscure words (harder) and more compound expressions (easier).

Getting Started

Most people do feel the need of a dictionary when solving a crossword. The Times shies away from recommending a single specific one; but The Collins English Dictionary is particularly good for proper nouns, while The Oxford English Dictionary is widely regarded as the ultimate source for definitions.

The best way to get started with any cryptic crossword is to study previous grids and analyse the answers. This will help to generate a list of the particular signposts used by that crossword. If you read some previous clues and answers and find yourself saying 'of course', then you will probably be hooked!

Things to Remember

  • The basic structure of a cryptic crossword clue is that it contains two parts. Each is a clue to the answer. One is generally a straight definition and one is a cryptic definition. In this sense, a cryptic clue may be seen as more generous than a simple clue (where 'Bird (5)' could be EAGLE or EIDER, but 'Sound of mountain bird (5)' can only be EIDER3). In some cases, both parts will be straight:

  • Turkish seat (7)4
  • Sometimes, there is only one part to the clue. In these cases, the clue can be read as a straight definition and as a cryptic one. Beginners find these daunting, but to the experienced solver, they are the apotheosis of the compiler's art and are admired for their elegance.

  • One may have got lineages sorted out (11)5
  • There will not normally be more than four or five straight anagrams, one or two extraction type and one straight pun. That is because these clues are regarded as too easy. But there may well be additional anagrams which rely on construction or a play on words to make them more complex.

  • Each clue must have a surface meaning: a plausible plain language interpretation. Do not be fooled into thinking this has anything to do with the answer. A 'nice word' might just as easily mean 'a word from Nice', hence 'French'. Here is a classic piece of misdirection:

  • Player getting six, duck, then fifty batting is test opener (9) 6
  • In the same way, ignore all punctuation. The punctuation is there to make the crossword clue read like a real sentence or expression: it has no relevance to the answer.

  • She took gold, keeping mum (5) 7

The Empty Grid

When confronted by a fresh crossword, the inexperienced solver can be thrown into a panic. All those empty spaces. Where to start? Most crosswords contain one or two really easy clues. All you have to do is spot them!

  • Look for obvious anagrams (see guidelines below). This depends on whether you are any good at solving anagrams, but they are generally easier since you have all the letters.

  • Look for compound words or phrases. The average length of a light8 on a 15x15 grid is 7 or 8. The English language contains thousands of words with 7 or 8 letters. However, if the light is actually two words (say 5,3), then there are far fewer words available and there is the added bonus that they must form a viable expression.

  • Look for short answers of 3, 4, or 5 letters. Again, there are generally fewer words which can fit and it is much easier to know (without counting) that a word contains the right number of letters.

  • Look for obscure words or proper nouns. These normally (not always) indicate an anagram, construction, or extraction type; and you can be certain that the obscure word plays a key part in supplying letters to the answer. The trick is to ask yourself why the compiler used that particular word. The clue must also contain a signpost; but sometimes these are quite tenuous, especially if the compiler thinks he has given too much away.

Types of Clue

Although this is a list of specific types of clues, the majority of actual clues are a combination of types. This isn't as difficult as it seems, because of the use of signposts. Typical signposts are listed under each type, but notice that some signposts can be used for more than one type. Also, compilers sometimes deliberately stack a clue with signposts, and it comes as a shock to discover that one of them is actually the straight definition!

Anagrams

In an anagram, the letters of one word, or words, are re-arranged to form another word or words:

Wet yarn I entangled (5)9

It is impossible to give a complete list of signpost words, but it should be clear that the sense of the word will somehow mean to change, disrupt, or arrange. Some less obvious ones are: 'special', excite, 'fashion', 'perhaps', 'broadcast', 'at sea' (regarded as quite corny now) and 'make' (sometimes with 'characters of/in').

The use of proper nouns, place names, and really obscure words is often an indication that the clue contains an anagram.

Solving anagrams is a matter of practice, technique and vocabulary. Don't forget that you should have a straight definition in the clue to help you. Many people write out the letters differently: perhaps separating vowels and consonants, or writing them in a circle, or just in a random order.

Reversal

A word in the clue indicates that something about the answer is given in reverse order. This might be an extraction or construction type clue (an example is given in construction) or, rarely, a straight definition:

Drank up the store (5)10

Signposts include 'over', 'back' (only used in across clues), 'up' (only used in down clues). Note that other crosswords are not usually as choosy about where these signposts are used.

Extraction

Here, the answer is made up of letters read directly from the clue:

Emperor appearing somewhat enervated (5)11

The phrase 'appearing somewhat' signposts the type of clue. Other signposts are 'from' and 'seen in'. Sometimes, just the word 'in' is used.

Note that the word may span spaces and punctuation; and, again, the use of proper nouns, place names, and really obscure words is often an indication that the clue is an extraction.

Puns and Lateral Thinking

The boundaries between these two types can be a little blurred. A straight pun may be considered where a simple homophone12 is indicated. These are considered so easy that the homophone is normally clued separately, rather than being put directly in the clue:

Fundamental truth college head proclaimed (9)13

In this case, the positioning of the signpost is unambiguous, but sometimes it is necessary to wait for a linked clue to work out which homophone should be entered in the grid.

Typical signposts are 'heard', 'sounds', and 'say'.

For a classic piece of lateral thinking, consider this:

Furnishing list of special events? (10,5)14

One of the most famous crossword clues of all time falls into this category:

HIJKLMNO (5)15

Example Given

In these clues, a specific instance of something is used rather than the generic word. This normally means that the generic word appears in the answer, or the compiler thought it was just too easy if the generic were given in the clue (perhaps seeing the generic written out gives the whole game away):

Piece of equipment I can change inside cooker, say (9)16

Signpost: say, for example.

As before, the use of proper nouns and place names may indicate an 'example given'.

Construction

This is a general term, covering Addition, Enclosure, Omission and Substitution. The common feature is that the answer is made up from separate words or parts of words, which are clued individually. The key to understanding this type of clue is that the answer is made up like an algebraic expression. By the time you've read the next sections, you should be able to solve this:

Miser gives nothing back to female, having no money around (9)17

As well as the more complicated cases described below, answers may be constructed from initial letters ('initial', 'start of', 'first'), last letters ('last', 'final'), 'odd' or 'even' letters (but note that 'odd' can also indicate an anagram). In one extreme case, a word was clued with 'penultimate' and, sure enough, the answer was made up of the second from last letters of the other words in the clue.

Watch out for 'on the contrary' or 'quite the opposite', which normally indicate that one of the signposts or the word order of the clue is misleading:

With it, shot goes into goal? On the contrary (6)18

Addition

The simplest algebraic operation is addition. This doesn't really need a signpost, but they are sometimes included. Compare:

Some unspecified area adjoining US city (3)19

With:

Note: pay attention to gloss (7)20

Enclosure

In this type of algebraic clue, one word or words enclose another word or words:

Ploughmen without time for books (9)21

Typical signposts are: 'without' (slightly archaic, as in 'stands without'), 'about' (which can also indicate reversal), 'around', and 'outside'.

Omission

Another common form of construction is where a letter or letters are omitted or changed in one of the clued words:

Using fingers, like 50% of Europeans 22

Typical signposts are 'short' (letters omitted from end of word), 'half', 'centre', 'without' or 'less' followed by a letter.

Substitution

In this type, a letter or letters are changed in one of the clued words:

Nothing Henry swapped for a sweet (6)23

There is no reason why the number of letters being inserted must be the same as the number being removed. Also, either set may be clued more cryptically.

Useful Words

Favourite sources of abbreviations include:

  • Books of the bible: eg IS or ISA (Isaiah), MIC (Micah)
  • Bridge players: so, 'partners' might be NS or EW and 'opponents' might be NE, SW, etc
  • Chemical elements: eg AG (silver), AU (gold), CU (copper), W (tungsten)
  • Chess notation: B, K, N, Q, R, X
  • Directions: L, R or E, N, S, W (and compounds). Also note that the compass points are sometimes described as quarter points or cardinal points
  • Military terminology: eg COL, GEN, GI, IC, LT, OC, OR, RA, RE, TA. Often clued as 'soldiers', 'officer' or similar
  • Musical notes: either as a single letter (D, E, G) or as a phonetic note (DO, RE, MI)
  • Roman numerals: D, I, L, M, V, X. Often clued as 'lots', 'a number' or the specific numeral
  • Measurement prefixes: eg K, M.

This table lists some other useful abbreviations and obscure definitions. Abbreviations covered above are not listed again unless there is another meaning of the same word.

Clue WordPossible interpretations
AppealIT
BishopB, RR (Right Reverend)
BookB, VOL, any book of the Bible
BooksNT, OT
DrugACID, E, H, HORSE, sometimes even a 'real' drug name (eg ASPIRIN)!
EnemyDEATH
FriendALLY, CHINA (from the rhyming slang), MATE, PAL
ItalianIT (from Italian Vermouth in 'Gin and It')
JackHANGMAN (after a famous executioner, Jack Ketch), J, KETCH (goes particulartly well with 'sailor'), see 'Sailor'
KingCOLE, ER, GR, K, LEAR, R
LearnCON
LightsLUNGS, WINDOWS, crossword answers (so, may be self-referencing)
Line(s)L, RY (railway), RWY
LoveO (from 'love' meaning zero and the shape)
NewN, signpost for anagram
OldO
PeterSAFE (a well-known brand name has become a slang word for safe)
QueenER, Q, R
SailorAB, JACK, TAR
SeeRemember that it can mean 'BISHOPRIC' (ELY most commonly used), signpost for extraction
ShipSS
Short timeM, MIN, MO, S, SEC, T, TIM (ie 'time' shortened)
SmellHUM
TimeH, HR, M, MIN, S, SEC, T
UnionMARRIAGE, NUR, NUT
VolunteersTA
WayAVE, RD, ST, any direction

Complete The Times Crossword On-line

You are now ready to complete The Times Crossword on-line (there are printable versions, too).

Good luck!

1'Neophytes' is a good crossword word because of the 'Y' in the middle and the number of vowels. Both of these make it easy to intersect. Consecutive vowels also mean it isn't an obvious word when the grid is half filled.2SKYE. Broadcaster = SKY. Heard in indicates a homophone. Island = SKYE.3'Sound of' indicates a homophone. Mountain = IDA. Bird = EIDER.4OTTOMAN. Turkish = OTTOMAN = Seat. 5 GENEALOGIST. As indicated by 'sorted out', this is an anagram of GOT LINEAGES. However, the whole clue is a straight definition of the answer. This clue is from The Times Jumbo Crossword. 6 VIOLINIST. Player = VIOLINIST. Getting is just meant to indicate some form of construction. Six = VI. Duck = O. Fifty = L. Batting = IN. Is = IS. Test opener = T. You are meant to think this is about cricket and the misdirection is compounded by the fact that both the start ('player') and end of the clue ('test opener') appear to refer to the game. For all this, however, it is a poor clue as the phrase 'six, duck, then fifty' is too cumbersome to refer to anything other than construction. 7 WOMAN. Read the clue as 'She / took gold keeping mum'. She = WOMAN. Took gold = WON. Keeping indicates that one part of answer contains another. Mum = MA. So, WO-MA-N. 8Light is the technical name for the answer to a crossword clue. This alternative definition is a good crossword word! 9 RAINY. Wet = RAINY. 'Entangled' indicates the anagram. 10 DEPOT. Drank = TOPED. 'Up' indicates reversal - only in a down clue. The store = DEPOT. 11 NERVA. From eNERVAted. Nerva was a Roman Emperor. 12 A homophone is where two words sound the same, like 'tee' and 'tea'. In really simple clues, one of the two words would actually appear in the clue, but that is very rare now. Homophone is yet another good crossword word. 13PRINCIPLE. Fundamental truth = PRINCIPLE. College head = PRINCIPAL. Proclaimed indicates a homophone. 14 Here the question mark indicates that something is up. The answer is OCCASIONAL TABLE, which is a type of furniture. However, the other half of the clue is more obscure: a 'list of special events' could be a 'table of occasions' or, by a play of words, OCCASIONAL TABLE. 15WATER. These are the letters 'H' to 'O' and H2O is WATER. 16APPLIANCE. Piece of equipment = APPLIANCE. I can 'change' = IANC by anagram. 'Inside' indicates enclosure (see later section). Cooker, say = APPLE. 17SKINFLINT. Made up SKIN-F-LIN-T. Miser = SKINFLINT. 'Gives' is a redundant linking word. Nothing = NIL. Back means reversed (see reversal), hence LIN. 'To' is really just there to enhance the surface meaning, but you could say that the LIN is given to the F. Female = F. Having no money = SKINT. 'Around' means that SKINT surrounds another part of the answer (in this case F-LIN). Phew! 18TRENDY. With it = TRENDY. Shot = TRY. Goes into indicates enclosure. Goal = END. On the contrary indicates that the real answer is revealed by the goal (END) going into the shot (TRY). 19ANY. Some unspecified = ANY. Area = A. 'Adjoining' means added to. US city = NY. 20GLISTEN. Note = G. Pay attention to = LISTEN. Gloss = GLISTEN. 21THRILLERS. Ploughmen = TILLERS. 'Without' indicates enclosure. Time = HR (hour). Books = THRILLERS. 22DIGITAL. Using fingers = DIGITAL. Like = DIG. '50% of' Europeans = ITALians. 23NOUGAT. Nothing = NOUGHT. Henry = H. 'Swapped for' indicates substitution. So, H is 'swapped for' A (note the looseness of the 'for'). Sweet = NOUGAT.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A563690

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more