A Conversation for My Vision for H2G2, by Douglas Adams

Brilliant Envisionings . . .

Post 1

Cool Old Guy (ex-SockPuppet) Trying not to post for the next 200 days !

>> when you write in something as simple as 'The coffee here is lousy!' the Guide will know exactly what to do with that information and where to put it. And if you see, a few seconds later, a note which says 'Yes, but the cheesecake is good' it might be worth looking round the other tables to see who you've just made contact with.

Cool old Guy smiley - cogs running the smiley - biro
"He not only developed the Guide as it is, for what I read he also had visions (not unfolded that way so far) of how it could become (GPS related information distribution).

He was way ahead in structures and technology, the early attempts of the Guide to go mobile always failed 'due to lack of resources'. (2001 TDV, 2005 BBC) However the current state of smart telephones is way beyond that of the 'heavy servers' they used to start the site in 1999.

I would not be surprised to see someone actually posting a conversation and autosmiley - magically adding it to the forum of a local establishment. (Would require a GEO aware Forum, GPS on their device, ...)

Alternatively the Researchers could have been using twitter, though that would be beyond the point, tweets fade away."


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more