A Conversation for Homosexuality

A statement that will probably sound like a gross generalisation

Post 1

echomikeromeo

This probably sounds awful prejudiced and stereotyped, but I find gay guys a lot easier to get on with than straight ones. I'm a straight teenager, and when the straight guys are always wanting to get too close, or looking you over or whatever, you know that you can sit down and have a normal conversation with a gay guy and it won't matter because it will be completely innocent and devoid of any ulterior motive on the guy's part.

Granted, we are very open towards people of all sexual orientations at my school. I have a number of interesting anecdotes I could relate on the subject. I'm proud of our reputation - my high school has the biggest Gay-Straight Alliance in California. It's important that the GLBT people are not the only people concerned with prejudice. I have a button that says 'Straight but not narrow', and that sums things up essentially.

smiley - dragon


A statement that will probably sound like a gross generalisation

Post 2

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

Hormones being what they are, there are some straight teen guys who will need time to learn how to have a normal conversation with a girl. smiley - smiley I suspect this perceived difference will ease up as you get older, though. Meanwhile, you're right to notice the difference and also right to recognize that generalizations aren't always true.

Thanks for the comment.


A statement that will probably sound like a gross generalisation

Post 3

echomikeromeo

You're welcome.smiley - biggrin

While I'm here, something that it might be nice to add to the compendium of knowledge here is the 'Day of Silence', an event that many American high schools participate in. On this occasion (this year 13 April) participants do not speak for one day to express their support for those GLBT students who are prevented from speaking out because of hate and bias. It's a terrific event and we get lots of support. Maybe I should write an entry on it...

smiley - dragon


A statement that will probably sound like a gross generalisation

Post 4

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

You should. smiley - smiley It would be a nice addition to our collection of entries on the general topic. And while it would be out of the scope on this entry, I'd like to hear how this event got started.


A statement that will probably sound like a gross generalisation

Post 5

echomikeromeo

Apparently students at the University of Virginia in 1996 had the first Day of Silence, and it proved so successful that they decided to hold another one, and another one ... and then other people started picking up the idea and it became very much the thing.

In a neighbouring town there was a large court case involving the Day of Silence, in which on said day last year, a boy wore a shirt with homophobic messages on it. The administration suspended him when he refused to change it, and he then sued the school. It became quite a big deal around here.

I should *really* be writing all this down... maybe when I've actually got some time.

smiley - dragon


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more