A Conversation for Homosexuality

The love that dare...

Post 1

nadia

I've never heard the phrase 'The love That Dare Not Speak Its Name' used specifically for lesbians or in that sort of context. The phrase was popularised by the trial of Oscar Wilde and has been used more in connection with gay men than lesbians.

smiley - orangefish


The love that dare...

Post 2

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

Indeed. I had to look up the reference, despite my usually being well-versed in gay history. But you are indeed right, Speckly. Technically, the quote is first attributed to poet Lord Alfred Douglas, who lived in Wilde's time. But Wilde reused the phrase in his own work, and was then stuck justifying it in his trial for gross indecency.

I have heard the phrase specifically used for/about lesbians, mainly in reference to pop culture. This would include movies like The Killing of Sister George (1968), The Children's Hour(1962), or Thelma and Louise (1991) and television shows like Xena or Buffy the Vampire Slayer. In all these cases, lesbians who might otherwise be out of the closet die.


The love that dare...

Post 3

nadia

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound so nit-picky. I was just curious, I didn't know the meaning had expanded in that way.

Well done on an impressive project.

smiley - orangefish


The love that dare...

Post 4

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

And I didn't mean to sound snicky either. smiley - hug

Thanks. And again, thanks for the clarification. I learned something!


The love that dare...

Post 5

echomikeromeo

<>

And, indeed, was the man that Wilde had his famous affair with.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more