A Conversation for The East End of London, UK

east end

Post 1

Researcher 200208

just to say that the article on the east end was great,but it also brought a lump to my throat as i remember stories my mum told me of the old east end as my family originate from bromley by bow poplar and other areas, i was wondering whether anyone could tell me where i could get old pictures of the east end as i never been able to travel there, i'm in the middle of doing my family history so any info on pictures would be greatly appreciated,like the railways in the 1920's and the salvation army and anything to do sith the old east end please


east end

Post 2

Pheroneous

Well, we cannot give you direct links, but, apart from following up the info in the article itself, it occurs to me that old postcards are a good source of pictures of the 'old' East End. If, therefore you try 'postcards + "Bromley by Bow" ' in your favourite search engine, you might get a result or two. I just did that in Google, and found some very informative stuff. Good searching!


east end

Post 3

World Service Memoryshare team

I think you can get hold of prints of old photos of East London. My sister has definitely got some of Forest Gate - I think she got them from a stall in Covent Garden years ago. Your local library might also be a good source. I know that Ilford library does them - but that might be a bit far out for pictures of Bow. You could try another library.


east end

Post 4

Pheroneous

You see, Anna, there is a difference. Forest Gate, not in the East End, was a far more genteel sort of place. One can imagine excited visitors snapping away in gay abandon, and treasuring to this day their memories of that delightful Garden suburb. Postcards by the hundred will have been stuffed into postboxes in order to inform friends and family of its delights. Hey, they would say, you should see the floorwalkers in Spratts, they wear top hat and tails! Bromley by Bow was, however, a different proposition. Our friend's ancestors may well have taken a trip by charabanc to sample the air at Forest Gate, to escape the East End. Now, admittedly, Bow has its trendy loft apartments and Forest Gate has a vast one pound emporium where once was Spratts, but the latter has, I would contend, the more interesting residents!


east end

Post 5

World Service Memoryshare team

I couldn't agree more. Have you got any recommendations for good curries on Green Street? I haven't been yet, but I've just moved from Tooting where I was, quite frankly, spoiled for choice!


east end

Post 6

Pheroneous

I am afraid I have been here and hereabouts since .... well before Green Street was a place you would wish to eat anything at all, and prejudices die hard. imho you will find the best Indian cuisine at Kanchans Rasoi on Romford Road in Manor Park. As in all Indian Restaurants, it may be advisable to steer clear of the 'regular' dishes and ask the waiter for guidance. Should you feel the need to impress anyone, they have a very swish place at Gants Hill (I forget the name, but it may be Kanchans) with musicians and all sorts. Actually the cooking is a little better at Gants Hill - the cook moved up from Manor Park - but you pay loads extra for the ambience, and probably have to book.

Should your tastes vary occasionally and you feel the need for a Chinese, try the Eastern Palace on Romford Road at Forest Gate. The cooking has always been good, and recently they have had a refurbishment - with air-conditioning and everything!!!

That just about concludes the list of good restaurants within reach of Forest Gate!!


east end

Post 7

World Service Memoryshare team

It seems you hang out at some very swanky establishments! I never knew there were such culinary delights at Gants Hill (apart from the bagel bakery). I'm reticent about Chineses always. Every so often I think 'I really fancy a Chinese' and then I get one, and I become muffle-headed with the MSG, plus I feel like I've got a hangover. But perhaps I go for the wrong sorts of Chineses. Have you been to the new-ish Vietnamese in Wanstead called Nam An? It's gorgeous inside - not too sure about the food though. Oooo and there's a Thai cafe on Leytonstone High Street that I can tell is you is totally authentic. I can't remember the name though. It's near the railway bridge.

smiley - smiley

Anna


east end

Post 8

Researcher 200208

thanks for the info on the post cards, and just to say my family did come from all the smoke and dust which did them no harm, but they gradually moved away from the east end after the war,and now we are scattered everywhere and no comments thankyou as i am not a cockney just proud of being from working class


east end

Post 9

Researcher 206769

I have just been reading an excellent book called The East End Then and Now.
It weighs a ton but is absolutely full of pictures and information and is very readable.
Ann


east end

Post 10

Edward

Hello my name is Ed I was born and bred in Stepney and my hobby is family history,along the way finding my ancesters i have accumalated a lot of books and picture of all parts of the East End so if you would like scanned pictures let me know


east end

Post 11

thankfulThomasG

The East End didn't end at the River Lea as the Middlesx Mafia claim. It embraced West & East Ham and their constituent parts, Canning Town, Custom House, Silvertown, North Woolwich, Plaistow, Stratford, Upton Park, Forest Gate and Manor Park. Of course this part of the East End was superior to Poplar, Bow and such places. We had most of the bombing followed by the dreaded Town Planners who razed complete streets to the ground to make way for those awful tower blocks and thereby killed the spirit of MY East End. It's all gone now but will live with me ever more as it was, a real community full of colour and personalities.


east end

Post 12

U14821249

This was 2002? Look at Brick Lane now!!!! Changed so much!

http://bricklane-e1.co.uk/


Key: Complain about this post