A Conversation for Wigan, Greater Manchester, UK

Wigan, Coal Mines

Post 1

Psigeist

Coal mines in/near Wigan? Long time passing! Should be a HISTORICAL entry me-thinks.


Wigan, Coal Mines

Post 2

Marcus Halberstam (Keeper of the True Path of the Vinyl LP)


Too true - it's a long time since the last lump of coal was mined in Wigan. I think that the H2G2 editorial team slipped in that little infelicity, but sadly I can't get into the original pre-BBC unedited version to check what Jen and I originally wrote.

Thanks for taking an interest. Are you a Wiganer, Psigeist?



Wigan, Coal Mines

Post 3

Hoovooloo

Actually, it's probably been about 30 seconds since the last lump of coal was mined around Wigan - there's a LOT of opencasting going on. Deep mines, yeah, Parkside closed and was demolished about ten years ago, don't know if that was the last. When did Golborne close? But my parents had an opencast mine in their backyard for four years in the nineties, and there are still a lot about.

H.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more