A Conversation for The V-Bomber Ejector Seat Story

Safety Pins

Post 1

Al Johnston

In order that ejector seats are safe while ground crews are working in the aircraft, there are a number of safety pins (thick steel bars rather than flimsy wrapped wire things) that prevent the explosive parts of the seat from operating, which need to be removed before take-off. Apparently it wasn't entirely unknown for "back-seaters" to ensure that some of those pins stayed put so that the whole crew were in the same boat, escape-wise...


Safety Pins

Post 2

Vestboy

Now that would have been a nasty surprise at 30,000 feet if there had been a high level problem wouldn't it.
"Right, all the back seat boys have bailed out safely now it's our turn."
*noise of ejector seat level being pulled*


Safety Pins

Post 3

Vestboy

I meant lever not level!


Safety Pins

Post 4

Al Johnston

The makers of the B-52 solved a similar problem by giving the lower deck personnel seats that ejected downwards. During the Vietnam missions flown from Guam, those guys had a nervous half-hour or so at the start of every sortie until the overloaded bomber could struggle to a height where it was safe for them to eject...


Safety Pins

Post 5

Vestboy

Dead and buried in one swift move, eh?


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more