A Conversation for Neptune

High winds indeed

Post 1

Brandy Bottle (1+7+8+0!+0!+4! = 42)

First - how come there are no other posts here - is Neptune that uninteresting? It's such a nice blue ball, and Triton is such an unusual satellite.

Secondly - how was the value of 560 m/s for the speed of sound arrived at? Given the planet's atmosphere and temperature shouldn't it be much lower?


High winds indeed

Post 2

Fufidius

I have no idea about the answer to your question, but I had to post because I , too thought it sad that no one has talked about poor Neptune for so many years.smiley - sadface

So let's cheer the place up! Wrap up well- I hear there's high winds -and have a smiley - stiffdrink to keep yerself nice and cozy. smiley - biggrin


High winds indeed

Post 3

sportylears

Neptune and Uranus actually come under the term of 'Ice Giants' and their upper atmospheres consist of ice particles. Also, a internal heat source is something of an incorrect term as only stars in some form or another produce their own heat. Heat generated by planets are a by-product of contraction and to a lesser extent radioactive decay.

As distant as the bodies are, the Sun's heat still does play a part in weather on these worlds. Even 5% of the sunlight recieved by the earth is still significant.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more