A Conversation for Su Doku

Killer Su Doku

Post 1

Caveman, Evil Unix Sysadmin, betting shop operative, and SuDoku addict (Its an odd mix, but someone has to do it)

I may have mentioned that regarding Su Doku, mathematics does not come into it.

Seems I was premature.

Two weeks ago, the Times of London ran a new style puzzle. In this puzzle, there are no clue numbers, however each square is part of a group, and that group has to add up to the number printed in the top left of that group.

The evil twist is that where groups cross 3x3 boxes, and bend around corners it is technically possible for a given group to contain more than one of a given number. It would be nice to think that the puzzlemeisters would not concoct anything that evil, but with five new categories, 'Gentle', 'Moderate', 'Tricky', 'Tough' and 'Deadly', they say that they can keep even a world-champion SuDoku'er busy for six hours.

Enjoy:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,7-1757275,00.html


Killer Su Doku

Post 2

Caveman, Evil Unix Sysadmin, betting shop operative, and SuDoku addict (Its an odd mix, but someone has to do it)

I should mention that in most puzzles they do state that any given group cannot contain repeats of the same number. Therefore an 'L' shaped group that crosses a box bounday that adds up to 12 cannot contain something like

6-3
|
3

This does make solving the zarking things somewhat easier.

For further details, see the Times, any weekday. Back-puzzles available on www.timesonline.co.uk


Key: Complain about this post