A Conversation for International Dining Etiquette

Hands

Post 1

Vestboy

We've just come back from Sri Lanka where we travelled with friends. Hands are used even if there is no bread so don't feel you have to have bread as a utensil to eat with your hands.
The general rule is to eat from the plate with your right hand but you may of course use both hands if you need to pull things apart, such as roti. People mix the food on their plate manually to get the mixture of flavours they desire for that mouthful. They then pick up the soggy food and pop it in their mouths.
Remember that eating with your hands means that you really should wash them before eating and you'll have to wash them afterwards. Restaurants generally have plenty of washing facilities for this purpose and will provide finger bowls.
We found that when we ate this way the locals really appreciated it and congratulated us on eating like Sri Lankans.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more