A Conversation for International Dining Etiquette

Russia

Post 1

Sol

Russian celebratory dinners go something like this. First you "make a table" which is something akin to setting the table, but which also means making it look extra pretty for a special occassion, and implies all the food preparation too. There are no hard and fast rules as far as I know about how you set the table, what to include and where, but you shouldn't expect to find any knives, except maybe a few cutting knives in case someone wants more bread or another slice of cake. You eat everything with a fork or your fingers as occasion arises. In fact this is general practice. You should try watching me with liver sometime, or trying to attack a roast chicken with gravy.
In my experience, which admittedly is not absolute, the food consists mainly of salads, cold meats, cheese, pickled stuff, caviar (usually red, and this takes some getting used to, but that's another story. Black is expensive), and such like which is all put on the table before you begin.
If you don't pig out too much on this 'first course' it could be followed by a hot 'main course', but not always. For afters there is usually fruit or cakes or both.
And of course the drink of choice is vodka, closely followed by champagne (can be served at the same meal) though there is usually an extra glass for soft drinks (frequently fruit juice) at each place.

A few words on how to drink vodka.
Drink it neat. That is why god invented small shot glasses. No, don't mix it. I don't care, just don't mix it. Never drink it without eating something immediately afterwards. I have no idea if this actually helps in any way, but even the hardest drinking session will always include a pause after each 'round' while everyone chomps on something salty. Gerkins are popular, as is sala on black bread (but you really don't want to know what that is), although anything at all is acceptable. You don't necesseraly have to go at it downing glass after glass, one after the other until you fall over. Vodka is part of perfectly respectable celebrations such as those abbove. If this is the case there are polite rules.
1) Vodka is only drunk after a toast. Sipping is what the champagne and /or juice is there for.
2) Glasses are raised throughout the toast, which will not be short, and then chinked.
3) If you chink your glass you must neck the liquid (but if you don't want to neck it, just don't chink).
4) Try not to cough, and, of course, eat something.

And that's it.


Russia

Post 2

AdaHaze

Do I know you?


Russia

Post 3

Sol

No idea, mate. Do I know you?


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more