A Conversation for The Amazing Mobius Strip

they arnt one sided

Post 1

Researcher Din

Ok, many will argue with what im about to say, but a mobius strip is not one sided!!! thats just anillusion caused by that little twist in it. the twist turns the top into the bottom and vise versa. If you color one side of the paper before you make the strip you can still see the 2 sides, they just curve around so the end of one side connects to the begining of another.


they arnt one sided

Post 2

amdsweb

I have to disagree - sort of.
While it is true that the paper you've made your strip out of is two sided, mathematically the strip has only one continuous side due to its twist.
I think.


they arnt one sided

Post 3

The Soko

Well, if you think about it, the paper you started with has 6 sides. and the Mobius strip you make out of paper has 3 sides. However, assuming the paper has no width, then you have a Mobius strip.


they arnt one sided

Post 4

Sonorus ((2*0)-sqr(4)*1+9)*6

Umm. Doesnt a mobius strip have no join? I.E. In the case of say a rubber strip, each molecule of rubber is molecularly bonded to its neighbouring molecules? At what point does a join cease to exist?
smiley - winkeye


they arnt one sided

Post 5

Mahen S

I think the reason for the confusion is this. Mobius strip is a form in itself like a cylinder. You can make a cylinder by using a strip, but then the strip will cease to exist and a cylinder will come into being. A cylinder has no joints and has two sides. Likewise a mobius strip can be made from a strip. Once it is made, it is no longer a simple strip. The mobius strip has no joints and has only one side.


they arnt one sided

Post 6

Naomissy

Maybe it is better to say that the strip has only one surface. After all , you can choose any point on a Moebius strip, poke a pin through it, and actually see the point come through the other side.
However your pin has penetrated the surface twice, in different places, making just one hole.


they arnt one sided

Post 7

hyperwhitemage

Mobius strips and klein bottles can never be truly understood by humans, so dont try! Our perception is so limited on a dimensional level we find a lot of topographical things hard to percieve


they arnt one sided

Post 8

Cals_Incitatus (the boorish American)

"...can never be truly understood by humans, so dont try!..."

What?
I beg to differ, one must CONSTANTLY try to understand difficult concepts.

Do you suggest we wait until we are no longer in human form to achieve enlightment?

smiley - smiley


they arnt one sided

Post 9

IctoanAWEWawi

indeed. And if you try for long enough you may just suceed.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/07/070726152816.htm

"The two academics have discovered how to predict the shape of a Möbius strip,"


they arnt one sided

Post 10

simoncarter

actually, if you create a mobius strip from a sheet of paper you change it from a 6 sided to a two sided, rather than 3 sided, object.


they arnt one sided

Post 11

MoebiusTripper

You sound like you would enjoy my sci-fi novel: "TIME TRIP ON A MOEBIUS STRIP." You will find a lot of interesting things about a Moebius Strip, such as what would happen to one if he were to ride a Moebius Strip in a vehicle that happens to be inside of a giant nautilus
shell that is resting over a magnetic fault....You must have already guessed what would happen by the title of my book.....Since the Moebius Strip really deals with 3 dimensions, but has the 4th dimension locked away in its enigmatic twist, my story deals with time, or the 4th dimension....As far as to where this 4th dimension is located in time, that you will have to read to find out....By the way, I have a blog dealing with Moebius Strips...You can find it if you do a search of my book's title.....


Key: Complain about this post