A Conversation for Handy Mandarin Chinese Phrases

German for 'tangerine'

Post 1

Ruppinger ~ zaphodista ~ former keeper of vegan affairs ~ new keeper of rainbows, until the old one shows up again

The german word for 'tangerine' is 'Mandarine'.
Anybody knows the chinese expression?


German for 'tangerine'

Post 2

Anglia

Can't help precisely, I'm afraid, but in the UK mandarins, tangerines and satsumas are fairly similar, which are also known as "Mikan" in Japan.

I think satsumas came from the old Japanese province of Satsuma. It no longer exists.

And no, there's nowhere in China called Mandarin. Although we do study Mandarin as the main dialect of Chinese, with others including Cantonese and Shanghai dialect


Mandarins

Post 3

Sepulveda

The word 'Mandarin' is derived from the Portuguese word 'mandar';to serve. Portuguese traders in China during the 16th century used the term 'Mandarin' to describe the Chinese Emperor's court officials.
The use of the word Mandarin to describe the modern standard Chinese language was originally a purely Western term for the dialect spoken in the Imperial Court. The Chinese use the word 'putonghua' to describe this dialect. So, although I'm not completely certain, it would appear to be unlikely that the Chinese use the word 'mandarin' to describe anything at all.


Mandarins

Post 4

Researcher 206010

As a Chinese students having studies English for so many years, I agree the above friends regarding the name of the official language in China. It is true that we call our native language is Putonghua. But that is Chinese language---Pinyin, which is derived , or more precisely, invented according to the Latin alphabet. Officially, we call it Chinese to refer to the official language in China. As defined in the linguistic point of view, the Mandarine, Cantonese, Shanghainese are the three regional dialects in China while Mandarine is becoming accepted by the Chinese government as the only official language in China, which got another more strict name: Chinese!
George Here in Southeast of China
12 Oct., 2002


German for 'tangerine'

Post 5

I have a Magical Towel....*BRANDISH*

well, cantonese chinese for manderine (da fruit) is 'gum'...if it helps anything?


German for 'tangerine'

Post 6

omniglot

The Mandarin for mandarin orange/tangerine is "ju zi". The Mandarin for mandrin (as in an official) is "guan yuan"


German for 'tangerine'

Post 7

Gannel_Crake

The only German word I know is "grenzkohlenwasserstoff" which I find very useful


German for 'tangerine'

Post 8

thedav

Scwartzkopff lterally means Black Head


Key: Complain about this post