A Conversation for The Hanger Lane Gyratory System

Twyford Abbey Road

Post 1

Konrad (1x6^(9-8)x(8-1)=42) (OMFC) (Goo at work, alabaster at home)

Hello,

For everyone's information, Twyford Abbey Road is nothing to do with the Berkshire, Wiltshire, or indeed Oxfordshire, Twyfords. There was in fact a Twyford Abbey in the area, mentioned on John Roque's splendid mid-18th century maps of the London area. No significant settlement seems to be associated with the abbey though, as far as I can recall.


Twyford Abbey Road

Post 2

Vestboy II not playing the Telegram Game at U726319

It also leads to the Guinness Factory and the only farm within the A406, I believe.


Twyford Abbey Road

Post 3

mbborow

I've worked in Park Royal & never new about a farm. Could you let me know where?


Twyford Abbey Road

Post 4

squizita

Having been to West Twyford school (down the road in question) I know that the Abbey was not actually an abbey till the twentieth century. Before that is was the manor house attached to the hamlet of West Twyford (marked on many old maps- i have one in my flat!) which is in fact mentioned in the Domesday book. They have dug up Roman remains under the delightful little church (now behind the big 1930s one!).


Twyford Abbey Road

Post 5

squizita

They have dug it up and built an office block on it, ditto the cricket ground, bowls, random field with stream and lots of other nice thing the Guinness company built as a tax ruse which worked out nicely for residents too.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more