A Conversation for RISC OS Computers

Advanced RISC Machines

Post 1

Phil

ARM doesn't stand for Acorn RISC Machines (at least not for many years) but acoring to the company's website Advanced RISC Machines.

The people who designed the first ARM chip had no prior chip design experience, but were more from a software background. I think it's great that they managed to produce what has become a great family of chips.

They are the workhorse behind a large number of mobile phones and handheld computers (remember the Newton anybody smiley - winkeye). If you wanted to be totaly hardcore and roll your own, designs for handheld computers based round StrongARM chips have been published on the web!


Advanced RISC Machines

Post 2

Mark Moxon

I'll hop in and change it. ARM used to stand for Acorn RISC Machine, but ARM Ltd changed that to Advanced RISC Machine.

As the entry will reflect in two seconds...


Advanced RISC Machines

Post 3

Phil

I think they've used the A as advanced since they formed ARM...
(from the ARM website)

1990
Advanced RISC Machines (ARM[tm]) spins out of Acorn and Apple Computer's collaboration efforts with a charter to create a new microprocessor standard.

I saw your entry in another thread about being a RiscOS journalist, so do you still have the toaster then smiley - winkeye
Just had a guy start here who was wearing a RiscOS sweatshirt earlier on in the week - respect!


Advanced RISC Machines

Post 4

Mark Moxon

Toaster? That was the Amiga, wasn't it?


Advanced RISC Machines

Post 5

Researcher 103882

The origional press release (about ARM Ltd.) said Acorn RISC Machines.

-OPD


Advanced RISC Machines

Post 6

Phil

Don't shoot the messenger smiley - smiley

They now don't even bother defining what ARM stands for.

I thought any non beige box ends up being a toaster (well apart from SUN who used pizza boxes smiley - winkeye)


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more