A Conversation for Terry Pratchett's Discworld

Watchmen?

Post 41

Peter aka Krans

:o)


Watchmen?

Post 42

Plastic Squirrel /Back, on the good foot, and doing the bad thing

Sorry for the gratuitous use of Carrot's punctuation there.


Watchmen?

Post 43

tom

What's poor Jasper done now?


Watchmen?

Post 44

fords - number 1 all over heaven

smiley - laugh


Watchmen?

Post 45

Peter aka Krans

smiley - smiley


Watchmen?

Post 46

Plastic Squirrel /Back, on the good foot, and doing the bad thing

Been shooting Moles again I expect....


Watchmen?

Post 47

Peter aka Krans

smiley - huh

Am I missing something? 'Cos I haven't a clue what you're talking about...

Must be the Minister of Idiocy kicking in... smiley - silly


Watchmen?

Post 48

Plastic Squirrel /Back, on the good foot, and doing the bad thing

Sorry, Jasper Carrot sidetrack I think. smiley - musicalnote On my blue funky moped... smiley - musicalnote


Watchmen?

Post 49

Peter aka Krans

Oh.


Watchmen?

Post 50

tom

My fault smiley - grovel

Doesn't "The Truth" have a different "feel" to it than the others? This ain't a complaint but it just seems different somehow ...


Watchmen?

Post 51

Plastic Squirrel /Back, on the good foot, and doing the bad thing

How so? I suppose it is slightly different, but it is mostly to do with Pratchett's increasing desire to put every one of his recurring characters in every book I think.


Watchmen?

Post 52

Peter aka Krans

Desire to put every one of his characters in one book? I don't think so. I can think of many Ankh-Morpork characters that don't feature in The Truth. The thing is, he's described so many of the characters of Ankh-Morpork that whenever there has to be a policeman, or a barkeeper, or a salesman, or a butcher - etc... he can just stick one in out of stock, and people who've read the books will go "Oh, him again," and people who haven't won't notice a thing...

...if you get my meaning... smiley - winkeye


Watchmen?

Post 53

Plastic Squirrel /Back, on the good foot, and doing the bad thing

Yeah, it just seems that the watch are getting an extremely long run of parts lately. That and the city has got very comfy and stable, no more do the Archchancellors of UU get blown up constantly, Ridcully has seen to that and it just doesn't have that constant pool of ever evolving nutcases that it used to. I say it's time for another "Small Gods" with a whole load of new characters that you'll never see again except in the odd obscure reference.


Watchmen?

Post 54

fords - number 1 all over heaven

Yeah, in 'The Truth' Vimes was a totally different person...


Watchmen?

Post 55

tom

I've been thinking about that.

In most of the Watch novels Mister Vimes is a hero. The story, when it mentions him is his story with his fight through alcoholism backed by a good woman and an interested Patrician. He develops into a cunning and effective thief taker. In "The Truth" the focus has shifted to de Worde and Vimes is a character with whom de Worde comes in contact rather than one of the heroes. The same is true of the other watchmen and even, to an extent, of the Patrician.

I think that's what Krans was heading towards.


Watchmen?

Post 56

GreeboTCat

~grin~... me not think Terry wrote Vimes to be a traditional hero... above reproach that sort of thing... he's human... and has faults... and personally me wouldn't want himm any other way...


Watchmen?

Post 57

Peter aka Krans

Don't forget that in the "Watch" novels you're seeing Vimes from the point of view of people who know him, his colleagues/employer, whereas in The Truth you're seeing him from the point of view of someone who doesn't know him. Neh?

Re the city being more stable... I think TP's novels are swinging more towards satire nowadays. I find the latest books more interesting by far than the first two, because by making AM more like a real world city, he can make much funnier jokes while staying in context.


Watchmen?

Post 58

fords - number 1 all over heaven

I do understand why he seemed like a different person in the Truth, because he was being seen in a totally new point of view, but he still didn't seem like the same character to me....

I agree re the satirical nature of the books now. AM to its fans is a 'real' city, much like middle-earth to Tolkien fanatics (ummm, me included in that one too!) but because of the humour of Pratchett, AM is more alive. The happenings of said city are more like a soap opera sometimes! smiley - biggrin


Watchmen?

Post 59

Plastic Squirrel /Back, on the good foot, and doing the bad thing

I have to agree with you Krans, the first two books just aren't as funny as the more recent satirical forms. They almost read like conventional fantasy in places.


Watchmen?

Post 60

Peter aka Krans

Yeah, exactly...

...of course, this leads to the conclusion that TP's books are gradually getting less conventional...

...or their creating a convention all by themselves.

Speaking of conventions, is anyone going to this year's Discworld convention?


Key: Complain about this post