A Conversation for 'Watership Down' - the Book and Film

The book's better.

Post 1

Afgncaap5

Man, it's about time someone wrote an entry on this book. It's probably why I spend so much time in libraries nowadays. And why I prefer rabbits to cats. Besides, if cats were much larger, they'd eat people. At least rabbits wouldn't consider you dinner.smiley - smileysmiley - fish


The book's better.

Post 2

Penguin Girl - returned at last

It's a great book - perhaps one of the only ones I've read in a class and still enjoyed. I read it in the 7th grade, which many adults were amazed about. I enjoyed reading a book that, although the back cover doesn't make it seem very interesting, had many more secrets than were easily revealed. Almost everyone in the class ended up enjoying it, and picking a favorite character - mine was Fiver.
and hey, I like cats. But they shouldn't eat people. We don't have wild rabbits here, which might explain why I don't know much about them.


The book's better.

Post 3

Gwennie

I had a "free range" rabbit called Roger - he dug his own burrow in the garden as, after a time, I couldn't bear to keep him caged and he didn't run away when he was released. He was great friends with my five cats and two dogs and regularly played tag and wrestled with the cats and one of the dogs who was a puppy at the time. In fact, he even attempted to "shag" the puppy (poor, confused beastie). I'm almost certain that Roger thought he was a cat or dog! smiley - smiley


The book's better.

Post 4

Small fish

Referring to the title of this conversation, I would have to disagree. The film is better. Although the book's pretty good. There's alot of stuff in the book which is missed out in the film. It's a pretty deep story for a children's book.


The book's better.

Post 5

Penguin Girl - returned at last

I really never thought it was a children's book at all. The movie was good, in fact much better than most books made into movies. The main reason I prefer the book is probably that I read it first, and got attached. What exactly do you mean, though?
-leah


The book's better.

Post 6

Afgncaap5

Well, I know for a fact that I'm not the best judge of movies or books, but I enjoyed it when my mom read it to me at age six.smiley - smiley I also think of General Woundwart (am I spelling that correctly?) as more menacing when I read the book. On the film, you can tell that he's the bad guy, but he just doesn't have that subtle factor that makes you want to hate him as much.

Penguin Girl-You're favorite character was Fiver? Neat, mine too. I named my rabbit after him. Of course, mine isn't as small. Or telekinetic. Or shy. Oh, well.


The book's better.

Post 7

Jim

Yeah, I would agree that the book is better. Adams seems to draw you into the whole world of rabbits. On another note, the actor who supplied the voice of Bigwig was Michael Graham Cox - I looked after him in his declining years until he died. A lovely man with a beautiful voice.


The book's better.

Post 8

Gwennie

Of course the book is better. I haven't yet seen a film which is actually better than the book it orignated from..

However, my nine year old autistic son adored the film of Watership Down (we all had to watch it repeatedly for months) which I'm really pleased about as I doubt if he'll ever be able to read the book.

The film also encouraged my 12 year old daughter to switch her Playstation off and grab my copy of the book to read which she really enjoyed. smiley - smiley


The book's better.

Post 9

Afgncaap5

I doubt any movie has ever truly been better than the book, with the possible exception of movies that came before the books. Such as Star Wars. The books are interesting, but they lack the originality. I guess you could say that whichever medium it first appears on is the one that contains the whole soul of the work. Having never heard the radio version of HHGTTG I will continue to believe this. Although, I still prefer the books to the BBC series.smiley - fish


The book's better.

Post 10

Penguin Girl - returned at last

Yes, that's usually true. The second one, whether it be book or movie, just isn't as good. Usually the original holds more to the story line, and is more complete, because they didn't cut things to make it fit for a 2 hour movie. Or a paperback meant for 12 year olds, who contrary to popular belief, don't need it dumbed down THAT MUCH.
Now here's an example of this taken to extremes: A few years ago, the book Little Women was made into a movie. Then, as with all major motion pictures, including NC-17 rated horror films, they published a short, paperback, children's novel, "Based on the award winning motion picture".
Also, I do agree about most Starwars books being bad, but I did like the Zahn ones. All the rest were really over glorified fanfics.


The book's better.

Post 11

Penguin Girl - returned at last

I am, unfortuantely, terrible allergic to rabbits. I don't know why. They're so cute and cuddly....


The book's better.

Post 12

Jenny and Fred the cheese

it all depends on your interpretation, a book can seem inferior for example if you see the film first meerly because it doesn't fit with how you see the story, charactors etc. most of the time the first is best though yes.


The book's better.

Post 13

Afgncaap5

True, I've always believed that if you have a biased opinion, you keep it, no matter how little this has to do with what you just said. Like I said, I prefer the hitchiker books to the movies. I've never heard the radio series, but I'd be willing to bet that I'd prefer the book. I don't know why.smiley - smiley


The book's better.

Post 14

Penguin Girl - returned at last

Yes, I did prefer the hitchhiker books. I guess I usually prefer the books because I love reading. Also, sometimes the reason a book is good has to do with writing style more than plot. This isn't to say that the plot can be bad, but it doesn't have to be stupendous if the style's good. ONe Example of this(for me) is the author Alfred Bester. I like his book, although the plots a fairly typical, because his writing style is so drawing that you cna't stop reading and want more when you're done. At least, I do.


The book's better.

Post 15

Jenny and Fred the cheese

i agree, of course for HHGG all three are written by Douglas Adams and are airly similar in style, it's the content that varies as much as anything. Though i've not seen the TV i think i like the radio and books about evenly, both have a lot that doesn't exist in the other.


The book's better.

Post 16

Afgncaap5

I wouldn't know.


The book's better.

Post 17

Penguin Girl - returned at last

I've never actually heard the radio versions, but in my copy of the 5 books all together, Douglas Adams makes an introductory comment about how no 2 things HHGG should have anything whatsoever in common. And perhaps something about digital watches, though I'm not sure.


The book's better.

Post 18

Small fish

I've only ever read the trilogy (in four parts), but I take this as the real hhgttg, and it is my bible.


The book's better.

Post 19

Jenny and Fred the cheese

what? you've not read mostly harmless? ooooooooooh you must you must


The book's better.

Post 20

Afgncaap5

You know, while the books are (IMHO) the best, a close second would have to be the Infocom text game that he co-authored. (Said the one who was possesed by text games).


Key: Complain about this post