A Conversation for DB Cooper - Skyjacker and Folk Hero

One television account (and a film)

Post 1

Baron Grim

I once saw a show about Cooper that mentioned another possible Cooper that sounded promising. I believe the show was about stories from the U.S. Secret Service (their duties go beyond protecting presidents, they also protect currency), but it was quite a while ago and I could be mistaken on that point. I wish I could remember the name of the man they purported to be the most likely candidate for the original Cooper. This one they said had been arrested for an unrelated crime. They might have also been investigating him for one of the copy cat jumps but I can't be sure. I doubt it was McCoy as this fellow was also very competent. He died after a very well executed escape from prison. I remember part of it had to do with hijacking a garbage truck, driving through the gate and a bit of luck when the gate fell off the truck, blocking the pursuing guards. They tracked him down to a house several weeks later. I remember the show pointing out that he had parked many blocks away. He had sworn before his escape that they couldn't keep him and that he would never return to prison. When they tried to enter the house to arrest him he either shot himself or at the police ensuring they would shoot him (again... I can't remember all the details).


One other thing. There was a fictionalized film version of the case based entirely on speculation. It was a fun little chase film starring Treat Williams as Cooper and Robert Duvall as his former Airborne commander turned diligent insurance investigator. It was one of those films that I couldn't help but liking.


One television account (and a film)

Post 2

Nirvanite

the DB Cooper Myth has also recently been revived as an integral plot point of the first 2 seasons of Prison Break.


One television account (and a film)

Post 3

Steve K.

There's also the 2004 comedy "Without a Paddle". From IMDB:

"After their friend dies, three men decide to fulfill their childhood promise by going on a camping expedition for the lost D.B. Cooper bounty, with calamitous results."

Burt Reynolds has a small part as mountain man Del Knox, who knows a little about DB.

Del Knox: You boys better get dressed faster 'cause I been up here alone for almost 30 years now.

smiley - seniorsmiley - cdoublesmiley - online2long


One television account (and a film)

Post 4

Baron Grim

I remember the ads for that, but I didn't know there was a Cooper connection.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more