A Conversation for The Women's Land Army in Britain

My Land Girl Years, 1939-1948: A memoir by Veronica Rattray

Post 1

Tinuvielt

"We were a lively and energetic bunch of girls from all over Lancashire, and while some of us had a farming background, the majority did not... We were to get on well together."

From 1939 to 1948, Veronica Rattray worked on farms in Lancashire as a land girl, and she has faithfully recorded these crucial years of her life in this revealing memoir.

The war years – a period of hardship for people in a nation under threat – was a time, for these land girls, of effort, self-sacrifice and hard work for low wages. They got on with their tasks, milking cows, herding sheep in the Pennines, and tending the huge shire horses that worked on the farms, and they got on well with each other.

Veronica's reward was to make new friends and to meet Queen Elizabeth in London, a moment she treasured until her death in the spring of 2009. Here are her recollections of a happier time, when people had fewer choices and made the best of what they had.

Find out more about this historic memoir by Veronica Rattray:
http://snowie.ca/my-land-girl-years/


My Land Girl Years, 1939-1948: A memoir by Veronica Rattray

Post 2

Tinuvielt

I've also created an extensive resource list linking to everything Land Army that was relevant and that I could find online at http://www.squidoo.com/womenslandarmy


Key: Complain about this post

My Land Girl Years, 1939-1948: A memoir by Veronica Rattray

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more