A Conversation for New York City, USA

Specialty Districts

Post 1

Mr. Cogito

I am frequently fascinated by the specialty districts that pop up in New York. By this, I mean there seem to be several areas where competing businesses are all clustered right next to each other (I believe there is an economic term for this). Visitors are often amazed not just that there is a store that sells ONLY lampshades, but there are 3 or more nearby. The most prominent example of this is the Fashion District, but there are some other notable examples that immediately spring to mind:

1. The Restaurant Supply District (around Bowery and Houston)
2. The Garden District (around 16th and 6th Ave I think)
3. The Meatpacking district (around 14th and 10th Ave). Now becoming gentrified into MeatPa perhaps?
4. Shoe districts (8th between 5th & 6th Ave, Broadway below Prince)
5. The Fabric District (around Ludlow & Orchard in the Lower East Side)
6. The Plastic Tubing District (Canal betw Thompson and Mercer)

I'm sure there are other examples, and people could correct some of my mistakes (where is the Lampshade District again). In addition, I think it would be fascinating to catalog some of the traditional ethnic neighborhoods in New York. For instance, Little India in Manhattan is around E6th and Lexington & 34th (not to mention Queens & Brooklyn). It's amazing how many cultures can be found in New York, especially if you like eating diverse cuisines.


Specialty Districts

Post 2

NYC Student - The innocent looking one =P

There seems to be a cluster of wholesale stores of asian electronic toys in Chelsea around about 27th street and 6th...

...and the one thing I'd like catalogued in NYC would be the location of Public Restrooms. This would be the only virtue of major national chains encroaching on new developments...


Specialty Districts

Post 3

Mr. Cogito

Yes, a public bathroom map would be most useful for those times you have, um, pressing engagements.

I'll start with a few I know:
1. The Astor Place Barnes & Noble
2. The alt.coffee bathroom (piled high with junky computers)
3. Bar 89 in Soho (it's a bar, and they want you to drink, but the bathrooms are the coolest bit. They have these glass doors that cloud over when you close them. Just barge in and use them if you're brazen enough).

In general, I've discovered that it helps to just hone in on Coffeehouses and use their facilities, even if you're not a customer (most places don't seem to mind)


Specialty Districts

Post 4

Researcher 178669

If I'm not mistaken, all hotels in NYC are required to provide facilities for the public.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more