A Conversation for Yorkshire Pudding

Parsnip tangent

Post 1

Jeany

My mother, the great-granddaughter of an Englishwoman, loved parsnips, so I hated them. I loved carrots, and was shocked to find in her last year that she spent my childhood forcing herself to eat them so as to set a good example.

It's only lately that I've come to appreciate parsnips.

I've developed a recipe that's lovely. All the ones I'd looked at used nearly a quarter pound of butter, which is too too much for any heart. So I roll-cut the 'nips into wedges and steam for @4 minutes. While the steaming is underway, I melt 1 or 2 tbsp of salted butter and add fresh ground white cardamom, popped from the pods, dry-fried and smashed. Stir the steamed parsnips with the butter and spice to thoroughly coat, dump into a shallow roasting pan or oven proof dish, cover with foil and roast in a moderately hot oven for 25 minutes or so. Pull the foil off for the last 10 minutes to facilitate browning.

Yes, roll-cutting is labor intensive. I think it's worth the trouble, but I'm into presentation. I have a collection of 50s enameled cast iron cookware which I use for this sort of dish.

I like to make a split dish of parsnips and sweet potatoes, which I do the same way I do the parsnips, except the spice of choice is cinnamon. I use an 8 in round and separate the 2 veggies in a yin and yang design. The visual is quite nice, and the flavors complement nicely.

Yum.


Parsnip tangent

Post 2

Vip

That sounds gorgeous. smiley - drool

What does roll-cut mean?

smiley - fairy


Parsnip tangent

Post 3

Jeany

Roll cutting is a knife technique for preparing vegetables for stir-fry. Here are two videos that explain better than I could with words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmDXM5YNPm0

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/ming-east-west/3478-roll-cutting-technique-video.htm

I use the technique for summer squash and zucchini, which cooks really fast and becomes insubstantial. The roll cut makes it a little chunkier; I finish it with a tiny bit of butter and finely grated lemon zest. It's a perfect balance to a gooey lamb stew.


Parsnip tangent

Post 4

Vip

I'll have a look at those videos when I get back from work. It sounds a really good technique though.

We had lamb at the weekend and spent last night making a stock. It seemed to turn out well, hopefully I can make a soup with it this evening.

smiley - fairy


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more