A Conversation for Yorkshire Pudding

More about the pudding

Post 1

DickieP

Instead of jam, the traditional Yorkshire accompaniment is raspberry vinegar, a kind of tart liquor.
Dull fact: the first published pudding recipe was by Hannah Glasse in 1747.
Some people say that you should use all milk, or add an extra egg-white or stand for an hour and rewhisk at the last minute. The only way to get really good results is (as the article says) to make sure the fat is smoking hot. Anything else is just personal quirks.


More about the pudding

Post 2

Researcher 100551

As far as I'm aware, Yorkshire Pud. mix is the same as the mix for Pancakes, but its just cooked differently, so, what you can do is have it with treacle, or anything you put on pancakes.


More about the pudding

Post 3

EARTHDWELLER

I am of Yorkshire stock, although born just over the border in Derbyshire and therefore an inferior being, but we were brought up on the stuff. Yes it can be made with an ordinary pancake mix, although I make it up slightly stiffer.

When I was a "young'un" we were very poor and we lived on Yorkshire Pud. It came with just about every meal, and sometimes just on its own if there was nothing else in the cupboard. We had it with jam and I have had it with treacle. Mum also used to make some with sultanas or raisins added to the mix which we ate with butter. When I was a student I lived in a boarding house where we didn't get Yorkshires, so every start of term my Mum used to make me a box full to take back with me, and she always put half a pot of jam in the box too smiley - smiley

I like Yorkshires with anything, including filling plate-sized ones with any kind of stew or minced beef, and it works well with a stiff chilli con carne or bolognese sauce. At my sister's 30th birthday party all the guests were served giant Yorkshire Puds like this, and my girlfriend from Singapore was so impressed when she tried the Puds a few weeks ago that we are having them at our wedding reception in Singapore in Spring 2000.

Further to the comment about toad-in-the-hole, it can also be made with sausage meat, lorne sausage (Scottish square sausage) or corned beef instead of whole sausages. The antipodeans have another dish which they call toad-in-the-hole which is bread with a hole cut in the middle and an egg broken in to the hole, and the whole thing is fried. That is quite nice too, but it is not the real thing, more a kind of vegetarian toad.


More about the pudding

Post 4

KasptheG

Having been born and brought up in Northumberland,the idea of a sweet yorkshire pudding is total anaethema.Toad-in-the-hole is just about passable.We had the said pudding as the staple ingredient of Sunday dinner,whether or not it included otherwise beef,chicken,lamb,pork or no meat at all.Savoury and sweet pancakes is surely a Dutch thing and best left to them.No offence meant.


More about the pudding

Post 5

Researcher 133831

Conversations about Yorkshire puddings? You're all a bunch of Yorkshire puddings!!


More about the pudding

Post 6

Researcher 134255

I like Yorkshire Puddings. It is one of the only two good things to come out of Yorkshire, the other being the M62 to Rochdale.

Paul


More about the pudding

Post 7

sunny

Born and raised in Yorkshire but have been 'down south'for 23 years, which probably explains the fact that I now enjoy toad in the hole made with vegetarian sausages and (steady) grated cheese added to the batter mix!! Yes I can hear North Country eye balls hitting the tops of skulls but try it - you might just like it!


More about the pudding

Post 8

N'Toth

One of those when I'm up your way next please! Sz smiley - fish


More about the pudding

Post 9

sunny

O.K. although...... hmmm, I wonder what curried batter would taste like. Toad in the Korma - doesn't quite scan does it? O.


More about the pudding

Post 10

Kanga

Toad in the Korma, no... but Fire in the Hole has appeal. smiley - winkeye


More about the pudding

Post 11

Researcher 217205

Here I am in Miami having just cooked some friends the good old roast dinner Yorkshire Pudding with all the trimmings you know Roast Beef etc.

I happend to mention that the Yorkshire Pudding could also be eaten as a desert and not one person believed me. So online I go and there in front of all our eyes was the proof that indeed it could be eaten with Jam and fruit.

Well there you go the proof of the pudding is in the eating (or something like that) Thank you for your help.

By the way the Yorkshire Pudding was delicious even though I say so myself.


More about the pudding

Post 12

Researcher 1300304

yorkshire pud has a lot more eggs than pancakes. if one wants to be technical it's an unsweetened choux pastry. popovers, eclairs etc...same thing except sweetened.

for the record, it is nearly impossible to get a yorkshire pudding without a rubber centre if the pan is too large. the sides will burn well before the centre has time to rise properly.

best results are obtained by using 2 six inch pans (15cm) and having the heat up as high as your oven can get. do this while the roast is resting and use the time to make the gravy, which is absolutely essential.


More about the pudding

Post 13

nikkini

sorry but 1 egg is used in both yorkshire puddings and pancakes smiley - erm
and its not a choux mix either, that contains butter and yorkshire pudds or pancakes dont.

and for th record i can make perfect yorkshires, without rubbery middles or burnt edges...and thats in a roasting tin smiley - winkeye


More about the pudding

Post 14

bob k

Try 50% wholemeal flour along with 50% plain white to make amazing toad in the hole. You will need to let the batter stand in the fridge for half an hour to get the glutens active, before the HOT pan/oven.
Also, it is good to half fry/cook the bangers first.
Rich onion gravy.


More about the pudding

Post 15

Jeany

Oh what fun! I am at least four generations removed from an English ancestor and I grew up cooking Yorkshire pudding, or what passes for it here in the states. It always went with roast beef, almost any cut demanded the pudding. I learned it as scalable, with 1/2 cup flour and milk for each egg, and 1/2 tsp salt. I've made puddings from 1 to 4 eggs, tend to cut back the milk as the pudding gets bigger. Lately I've been adding fresh cracked pepper to the batter.

I've enjoyed so much reading the recipes and opinions; I rarely let the batter rest, although I remember my mother doing that. I prefer to cook it in cast iron as the retained heat and the wicked hot fat can produce the most amazing puffs. I've taken pictures, I so impressed myself.

I was intrigued to read about jam and treacle and golden syrup, but in all my life I don't think I've ever seen any pudding left at the end of a meal.

I found this thread by googling "curried Yorkshire pudding," and am a bit irked that the search produced so many hits without one recipe. :D Perhaps someone here could help?


More about the pudding

Post 16

Vip

Try asking in <./>Askh2g2</.> and see if anyone over there can answer. smiley - smiley

Vip
smiley - fairy


Key: Complain about this post