A Conversation for Yorkshire Pudding

Eh?

Post 1

Mim_NM

Jam and yorkshire pudding?!
Are you mad?


Eh?

Post 2

duane

No, they aren't mad. I've never actually tried it, but I have heard of it before. It is not so far removed either from a dish known as cherry clafoutis(?), which is basically toad in the hole with cherries and sugar, rather than sausages. (And you wouldn't have onion gravy with it!)


Eh?

Post 3

Mim_NM

that is just insane.


Eh?

Post 4

Researcher 199822

I've never had Yorkie pudding with jam, but our family often eat it as a desert with golden syrup.... delicious!


Eh?

Post 5

Researcher 203575

My Mum used to make two Yorkshire puddings, one normal and the other with raisins or currants in it for afters. It was during the war and I was only a young boy then but I thought they were a bit of alright, nothing fancy, "but there was a war on"


Golden Syrup on Yorkshire Pud!

Post 6

BloodSucker

Yummy yummy yum yum!

Recommended to anyone who's not tried this combination! smiley - ok


Golden Syrup on Yorkshire Pud!

Post 7

Brontë Babe (orig. 'Lizzy Gold' but fancied a change of name)

My Gran is from Leeds, W Yorks and whenever we have roast dinner at her house we always have Yorkshire pudding first as a kind of starter. When I was a kid I used to have sugar on my Yorkshire puds - it was the general rule that the children had sugar on them while the grown-ups had gravy (onion or otherwise), though I've never grown out of putting sugar on them! I still find the idea of having Yorkshire pudding as an accompaniment rather than a 'starter' quite strange (and I bet it was the idea of a Southerner smiley - winkeye), as when you eat it like this it gets very soggy. Of course putting gravy inside a Yorkshire pud makes it soggy too (though not as soggy as when it sits in gravy next to meat or veg) - I think that's why I've always preferred eating them with sugar on!

Lizzy smiley - tea


Soggy Yorkshire Pud?

Post 8

Piece of the puzzle

Yes, the Yorkshire pud I had in that restaurant was rather soggy--- it had a delicious smokey bacon and onion sauce in which there was a mix of mushrooms and ham and potatoes and carrots. I assume that soggyness was the idea, to mop up all the yummy sauce and leave a reasonably "lumpy" muncheable filling on the top?
I had a problem with the Yorkshie once I had eaten the filling: the thing just fell apart under my fork and when it drooped off the fork and fell onto the rest of the dish it splashed rather...
Anyway I still remember it so it must have been good!! Yorkshires with sugar? Hm that needs thinking about and some getting used to, but as there were sweet ones on the menu, no doubt the sugar topping was part of the list. I think there was an ice-cream filling, too. And why not sugar, my kids used to love sugar on sandwiches... What I want to know: is there a specific name for them when they are "dressed up" like this? And if not, can you suggest a fetching or extravagant name?smiley - smiley


Eh?

Post 9

Ferral

My Mum (who is from Belfast) always puts sugar in the recipe instead of salt. They are always yum with a nice crispy edge and a lovely light centre.


Eh?

Post 10

annala

a yorkshire pudding with sugar on it is called a pancake. same mixture, just cooked differently.
My mum makes two yorkshires, one set of little puddings, and then a bed of them for later. but served at the same time as roast beef, mashed suede and carrots, brocilli, peas and onion gravy which has been cooked for three hours.
Special praise should be heaped on those that can cook a yorkshire without it becoming too crispy, too soggy or both. it is an art.
Prime yorkshire cuisine.


Eh?

Post 11

nikkini

pancakes and yorshire puddings, altho they have th same recipe are very different. a yorkshire pudd with sugar is not a pancake. jam, teacle and sugar are popular ways of making a yorkshire pudd sweet rather than savoury but originaly came about as a way of using up left over pudds at t-time smiley - smiley
i find nothing weird about this, mayb its cos im a born and bred yorkshire lass smiley - biggrin


Key: Complain about this post