A Conversation for Trousers versus Pants

"Pants" as a descriptive word

Post 1

Ormondroyd

In English English (so to speak) "pants" can also be used as a description of something inadequate or disappointing - e.g. "That film was absolute pants".
This Saturday (Dec. 18) some supporters of the Reading soccer team are planning a "Pants Day". They're going to bring spare pairs of pants (as in knickers) to their team's next game and wave them in the air during the match, to protest about the way the team has been playing recently.
You see, Reading have kept losing. They've been rubbish. In fact, in the opinion of the protest organisers, they've been completely pants! smiley - bigeyes


"Pants" as a descriptive word

Post 2

DikMik

In fact you could say, "Knickers to (insert offending thing here), they are pants. They'll have to pull their socks up or they'll get the boot!"


"Pants" as a descriptive word

Post 3

Ormondroyd

Exactly! smiley - smiley
That protest at Reading FC did happen - I saw footage of it on TV and it loked absolutely hilarious. The club chairman responded by bringing a pair of his own pants along to the game and using them to wave back at the protestors!
BTW, DikMik - an interesting choice of nickname you've got there. I take it you're a big Hawkwind fan? If so, may I suggest that you check out my music page - http://www.h2g2.com/A242245 - where you'll find a link to their official website among links to hundreds of other artist sites. smiley - smiley


"Pants" as a descriptive word

Post 4

DikMik

Ta very much. Space is deep. This is your captain speaking, your captain is dead...


Pants etc

Post 5

Livzy

Actually a "Melvin" can also be a rather uncomfortable "lifting" by the goolies (a la "Bill and Teds Bogus Journey" when they "Melvin'd" Death)
Back when I were a lad we called the tugging of your pants right up your arse crack, "wedgies" and they bloody hurt and quite often ended in the ripping of pants. Mothers everywhere wondered how their little Johnny went to school resplendant in underwear and arived home pant-less.
Well Mothers, now you know!!!


Pants etc

Post 6

DikMik

Much like a "Camel's Foot".


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more